Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

It Pays To Pay Attention To Paying Guests

, , , , | Working | May 28, 2024

I’ve had terrible service because my ex and I were young. We watched our waiter fawn over all his other tables, which were all older people. We talked to him twice: when placing the order and then when the check came. He put our appetizer in at the same time as our main courses, so they all came at the same time.

The busboy who was clearing tables got our silverware, got our drinks (first ones and refills), and helped us get a manager because we didn’t want the appetizer anymore.

The manager promised to talk to the server, but there was no change. The waiter dropped the check and walked away when I was trying to ask for a box. (The manager said he’d take the appetizer off the bill but told us to take it home.)

We didn’t tip the waiter, and we left a note telling him why.

We did tip the busboy and told the manager he was awesome. We found out he was in the manager training program, where they had to work each job in the restaurant except chef.

The funny thing is that we are actually really good tippers; the busboy got 40%. We usually do 30% or more, and we’ve given some 50% or 100% if the waiter seemed overwhelmed but still did their best.

Sometimes You Have To Let Those On The Outside In

, , , , , , | Right | May 7, 2024

My store is close to a halfway house, and some people come through looking to get new phones activated and other necessities when they get to the house. There was one really nice guy who had been locked up for about twenty years and was trying to make his way back into society and figure out all the technology that he had missed.

He was a really chill and nice guy, so after I sold and activated the phone for him, I showed him how to use it fully — how to turn it on and off, call, text, etc.. He would come back specifically for me and ask a number of very basic questions about his phone (and his eventual smartphone), smart TVs, and anything else he’d buy as he got used to life on the outside.

One day, he came in to buy a laptop and a headset. When I asked what it was for, he told me he was moving in with his sister and her kid down in LA. They were teaching him how to play World Of Warcraft, and he wanted to have his own computer and join them on Discord to play. He had come to me for help with it.

I made sure he had it set up, the game installed, and Discord joined. I even gave him advice about character creation and helped him through the introductory parts of the game during my lunch break. Every piece of advice came with a “Wow, that’s amazing!” or “I wish I’d had this when I was a kid; things might have been different!” 

That was the last time I saw him, and I think back occasionally, hoping he is living his best life out there.

Put Yourself In The Shadow Of The Colossus

, , , , , , , | Right | May 10, 2024

It is a slow late evening on a weekday. The burger joint is nearly empty, save for some lonely people and four loud, drunk twenty-somethings. I check the time and realize that one of our regulars will come soon. He is very autistic but likes to eat here because “the food is consistently a seven out of ten, the lights are soft enough, and many of you know what I want so I don’t have to speak” as he once so succinctly put it. He is really nice, he always cleans the table after himself, and if it is close enough to closing time, he INSISTS that he must sweep the floor. The burger he wants hasn’t been on the menu for some years, but we make it for him anyway.

The regular wants to sit in the same booth and eat the same burger at the same time if at all possible. The four drunks sit in his booth, so I go over there (after some deliberation) to politely ask them to switch tables.

Me: “Hello. Sorry to bother you.”

Drunk Woman #1: “Arye closin’?”

Me: “No, not at all. We have a… special customer who really likes to sit in this booth. Could I politely ask you to switch to the table next to you?”

Drunk Woman #2: “Ooh! A speshal? Well, I have a brother like that. We, we’ll, we’ll move.”

The three women and one man move to a different booth. I clean after them and take my place behind the till. I notice that the drunk man seems quite annoyed by the move, and I hear a hushed discussion between them. He seems more and more agitated until he roars:

Drunk Man: “What, you think I am not man enough?”

Drunk Woman #2: “No, no, not at all.”

Drunk Man: “Yeah! I’ll show you!”

Drunk Woman #2: “No, please…”

And he stands up, wobbles over to me (a short, skinny woman) and screams:

Drunk Man: “What the f*** gives you the right to move us? You b****!”

Me: “Sorry, sir, I am sorry if I…”

Drunk Man: “You ugly b****! How dare you talk to me like that? I’ll f*****—”

And then he is interrupted by a deep, monotone voice behind him. The regular, a more than two-meter-tall colossus who comes here after his evening workout, has arrived. His voice is flat, his face is unreadable, and his eyes are fixed slightly above the drunk’s head. He looks roughly strong enough to tie knots in an anvil.

Colossus: “Why are you yelling?”

Drunk Man: “Um… well…”

Colossus: “Why are you yelling at [My Name]?”

Drunk Man: “I… Hey, man, don’t interrupt! I’m just… Yeah! You wanna, you wanna fight me?”

Colossus: “Fight? You?”

Drunk Man: “Yeah?”

Colossus: *Scoffs* “How could I do that?”

The regular actually asks, “Do you want to have a verbal debate or a physical altercation?”, but it comes across as “It won’t be a fight; it will be a murder.” The drunk goes pale, realizes that he weighs roughly less than half of the arm of the colossus, and takes off. His female friends go after him after a while.

Me: “Thank you!”

Colossus: “Okay. May I order?”

Me: “Of course. The usual?”

Colossus: “Yes.” 

He hands me a carefully stacked pile of cash, with notes and coins in an ascending order.

Me: “Could I treat you the food? As a thank-you?”

Colossus: “Why?”

Me: “That guy was really threatening, and you scared him away. Thank you for that!”

Colossus: “I didn’t mean to. Sorry! Is he okay?”

He starts shuffling from one foot to the other.

Me: “No, no, he was threatening to me.”

Colossus: “How?”

Me: “He is a lot bigger than me and was really angry.”

Colossus: “But he wasn’t scary? He’s so small?”

He starts shuffling even more and stims a bit with his hands.

Me: “Not to you… Oh, never mind. Your order will be ready soon. Sit in your booth. I will give you your food at your table.”

Colossus: “Thank you.”

He sat down and calmed down. I gave him his food, taking extra care to make sure everything was as he liked it. He ate, cleaned the table with napkins afterward, and left, never understanding how he’d helped me.

He still goes there at the same time and eats the same burger even though it has been several years.

Sadly, The Kids Had To Learn About Ableism Eventually

, , , , , | Learning | May 16, 2024

I am working as a sign language interpreter in a classroom. I’ve been working with one particular student since she was five years old, and it’s been a pleasure to see her growing up and keeping pace with her classmates.

The teacher has just gotten a new aide: a stern, older-looking woman who — and I don’t mean to stereotype — looks like she’s stepped through a timewarp from the 1950s. She immediately takes a dislike to me, and she seems to favor specific students using the Ayn Rand method of education.

After a few days, I notice that [Teacher’s Aide] is standing between me and my student, blocking her view. It’s not a huge classroom, so she must not have noticed. I move aside and restore my line of sight with my student… and then [Teacher’s Aide] moves again.

Me: “Excuse me. You’re blocking my view with [Student].”

Teacher’s Aide: “Yes, I know.”

Me: “So, you’re doing it on purpose?”

Teacher’s Aide: “I’m doing it so that she doesn’t rely on you too much. She can’t be expecting to have interpreters every step of her adult life, so it’s in her interest to learn this now.”

Me: “She won’t be learning anything if she can’t understand what’s being taught!”

The teacher steps over and asks what’s going on.

Me: “[Teacher’s Aide] is purposefully blocking my view with [Student].”

Teacher’s Aide: “I’m not too sure what [Student] is doing here in the first place! She should be with her own kind, learning at an appropriate pace—”

Me:Her own kind?!

I admit that I said that way too loud. The children start murmuring.

Teacher: “[Teacher’s Aide], stop blocking [Student]’s view of [My Name]. We will discuss this further after class!”

The rest of the day went by unhindered.

After school, I returned to the classroom to speak to [Teacher]. She told me that [Teacher’s Aide] was a substitute and would not be coming back, based on her outdated opinions not just in [Teacher]’s class but in every class she had “assisted” that day. Good riddance!

Not So Karaoke-Dokie

, , , , , , , , | Friendly | June 5, 2024

Two things you have to know about me: I’m on the spectrum — officially and quite recently diagnosed in my late thirties — and I’m a singer. I’m on a line between amateur and professional. Pretty much all of my friends are actors, singers, and dancers playing in musicals, and every one of them keeps telling me I have to go on and keep on trying to do the same thing as themselves. But it isn’t easy to perform in public when you’re autistic, so at first, for years, my former main way of practicing was singing at karaoke bars — not in karaoke rooms, but in the middle of a crowd. I don’t really like the very concept of karaoke, but it was useful to learn to face an audience.

About fifteen years ago, every week, I went with my best friend to a nightclub that had a special room only for karaoke, with about fifty seats. I liked going there; I felt comfortable, I made a few friends, and I even met a girlfriend.

One night, my friend saw a woman in the room, and he smiled.

Friend: “Oh, dear…”

Me: “What?”

Friend: “Have you ever heard [Woman] sing?”

Me: “No.”

Almost laughing now, he told me [Woman] was a regular who ALWAYS sang the same song, a quite famous French song… with a little personal touch. He wasn’t more specific than that, telling me with gleeful anticipation to just be patient.

[Friend] was right. After a while, [Woman] went to the microphone and, a bit tipsy, started to sing that very song. Right after the end of the chorus (the lyrics being “I want you if you want me”), with a slurring voice, trying — and failing — to sound erotic and in ecstasy, she bellowed:

Woman: “OH, YESSSS, I DO WANT YOU!”

That was so unexpected that I loudly snorted. I couldn’t help it. And I wasn’t the only one; [Friend] and other people were openly laughing at her. But she caught me — and only me — glared at me, and then kept on “singing”, doing her ridiculously orgasmic coda at the end of every chorus, two or three more times. Then, she left the stage, glaring at me one more time, and icily said:

Woman: “That’s funny, huh? Sneezing while others are singing? Achoo!”

I was taken aback but didn’t answer as she walked out of the room.

About half an hour later, [Friend] went to have a smoke outside, and I went with him. But in that special smoking zone, [Woman] was there, even drunker than before, and she started to verbally attack me again. 

Woman: “Sneezing funny guy, when others are singing… Achoo! Achoo! Isn’t that funny? Achoo!”

In French, as you may know, we don’t have just one kind of “you” as a pronoun. We have two: “tu”, which we use with our family members and friends, and “vous”, which is the polite way of addressing someone you don’t know. Using “tu” toward a stranger is usually perceived as rude.

I kept saying “vous” to [Woman] while she angrily said “tu” to me. Her tone became more and more aggressive. She mocked my clothes, my obesity, and my voice, using bad language and insulting me. I tried to defuse the situation, apologizing on and on but, being upset, I just wanted more than anything else for her to stop talking to me. And that went on for about ten minutes as I tried to keep myself calm. (I still don’t know why I didn’t run away from her and her abuse.)

Then, I unknowingly reached my breaking point.

I confusedly remember two bouncers escorting me out of the nightclub and walking across the whole place before I found myself in the parking lot, on a cold fall night, sitting on the ground, back against [Friend]’s car.

I do remember the voice of the main bouncer asking his colleagues:

Main Bouncer: “Where’s the porker now?”

Bouncer #2: “Who?”

Main Bouncer: “The one who sings.”

Bouncer #2: “Oh. Behind that car.”

A few minutes went by before I got up and went back to the nightclub door to talk to [Bouncer #2].

Me: “I know I was banned, but is it only for tonight, or is it permanent?”

Stunned to see me speaking with such a calm and shy demeanor — I guess they thought I was under the influence, even though I’m a teetotaler — he went to ask his boss, who came back to me and scolded me.

Main Bouncer: “The karaoke room is not yours. Don’t mock other guests anymore.”

I agreed, and he let me in. Then, he went to scold [Friend], too.

Mentally exhausted, I needed one hour to really calm down at the darkest corner of the nightclub, silently weeping, before I went on stage and sang a song about depression and death, which made my friend tear up a bit. Then, he told me what happened with [Woman].

Friend: “You know The Incredibles? When Helen and Bob are having an argument, and she gets mad and gets taller and taller and taller?”

Me: “Sure?”

Friend: “You looked pretty much the same. Like a cartoon character.”

As a matter of fact, it seems my voice had become unusually shrill and my vocabulary EXTREMELY coarse. I was stepping at [Woman], screaming, with unblinking eyes, until she literally had her back to the wall.

Friend: “You definitely looked like you were going to bash her skull against the bricks. You terrified her.”

I didn’t touch her, though, and I may not have at all; the bouncers’ intervention prevented it anyway. Since [Woman] was a friend of the nightclub bosses — she was there every open day and never drank water — she never had problems. And I do understand that a man reacting like I did with a woman isn’t sane at all, and I deserved to be considered the only one responsible for the situation.

Anyway, [Woman] never approached me again, cautiously avoiding crossing my path every time I was there.

That was the most explosive meltdown I ever had. I’m not proud of it.