Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

The Cutest Cupcake Caper

, , , , , , , | Related | May 20, 2024

I partially overhear a conversation between my housemate and his three-year-old after they return from the store.

[Child] walks in eating a tiny cupcake.

Child: “My daddy gave me a cupcake!”

After finishing it:

Child: “Daddy, can I have another cupcake?”

Father: “After dinner, sure.”

A short time later from across the house, I only hear [Father]’s response.

Father: “That was very polite, so you may have another cupcake.”

Another maybe twenty minutes pass, and [Father] steps outside to have a cigarette. A minute after that, [Child] walks down the hallway proudly holding a box of cupcakes.

Child: “My daddy got me cupcakes!”

Me: “And your daddy gave you that whole box, did he?”

Child: *Excitedly* “Yeah!”

Me: “[Child], are you sure he gave you that entire box right before dinner?”

Child: “Yeah!”

[Child] sits on the couch and starts to open the box.

Me: *Louder* “[Father], I’m assuming you did not give [Child] an entire box of cupcakes.”

Father: “I absolutely did not! [Child]!”

Voucher Vexations

, , , , , , , , | Right | May 20, 2024

I work for a theme park, and I have decided that I absolutely loathe it when we get school groups coming in. School groups tend to carry meal vouchers, and I’ve decided that I also hate meal vouchers with a passion because dealing with meal vouchers brings out the jerk in everyone. It lists on the back of the voucher what types of meals you can get and where you can get them.

Otherwise, there is a HUGE sign at every other place that is not listed on the back. It states clearly: “BRING YOUR MEAL VOUCHER HERE FOR [MEAL] AND REGULAR DRINK. UPGRADE TO A SOUVENIR BOTTLE FOR $9.99!”

We have three brand-name restaurants in different parts of the park. There is only one that can serve the chicken-strip meal for a voucher. The other two have to serve the cheeseburger meal. That’s how it rings up when we scan the voucher, and that’s what we have to follow due to inventory. Naturally, I am NOT at the chicken strip meal location today.

A huge crowd of shouting kids comes up to the counter all wearing the same school shirt and all waving meal vouchers. They start to toss me a gigantic wad of meal vouchers. I have to scream to be heard.

Me: “Everyone, pick your meal voucher back up! One at a time only. Once I give the person before you their drink, you can hand me your voucher!”

This begins twenty minutes of total madness. When I ask one kid what their drink is, I get fourteen different answers, none from the kid I was talking to.

I also have to move my receipt printer because some kids keep trying to snatch up the receipts as they print. This horribly jams the printer, as it likes to be left alone when it feeds paper.

I finally come to a dad and his daughter.

Dad: “I want the chicken strip meal with this voucher.”

Me: “We only do the cheeseburger meal at this location.”

Dad: “Uh… no. You do chicken strips. It says you accept any meal here.”

Me: “Wow, really? Where does it say that?”

Dad: “On the back of this voucher.”

Me: “That actually says the location in [Cowboy-Themed Location].”

Dad: “This is [Cowboy-Themed Location].”

Me: “This is the [Boardwalk Location].”

Dad: “Wow. You of all people should know this is [Cowboy-Themed Location].”

Me: *Patience is gone* “In order to get here, you walked directly under a flamboyantly colored archway that said, ‘Boardwalk’ in giant letters.”

Dad: “I don’t care! I want chicken strips!”

Me: “There is no option for me at this location to give you chicken strips on a voucher. The voucher will scan as a burger meal only.”

Dad: “GET ME YOUR MANAGER!”

I get my supervisor.

Supervisor: “What’s wrong?”

Dad: “Okay, I’m not even going to begin to talk to you. You’re not a manager.”

Supervisor: “I am the only manager of this restaurant.”

Dad: “Your name tag says supervisor. So, no. Get me a manager.”

Supervisor: “I’ll have to call someone to come over, and even then, it will take a while.”

Dad:Just do it!

Supervisor: “Hold your horses; the phone’s in my hand!”

Did I mention that I’m the only cashier and our second cashier isn’t coming in until three? The whole park is completely swamped, but for some reason, they won’t start turning people away even when every square inch of standing room is taken up. I help all the other customers while the dad is standing there trash-talking the park to his daughter.

Finally, the manager shows up.

Dad: “My daughter and I want chicken strips on this voucher.”

Manager: “Follow me. I can help you with that.”

Dad:Finally!

Manager: “You’re gonna go left all the way down and then right all the way down to [Cowboy-Themed Location]. If you don’t like that option, we can serve you cheeseburgers here.”

Dad: “I. Don’t. Want. Cheeseburgers!

Manager: “That’s fine. Let me escort you to [Cowboy-Themed Location].”

Dad: “I don’t want to walk over there.”

Manager: “Then I don’t know what to tell ya, buddy. Those are your only options. If you wanna know where to get anything else on the back of your voucher, don’t hesitate to ask.”

The dad, realizing that nobody was going to budge, muttered something under his breath, but he ended up getting the cheeseburgers after all.

A Patient Without Patience… Or Compassion

, , , , , | Healthy | May 20, 2024

CONTENT WARNING: Pet Death



I’m working the front desk at our veterinary clinic. It’s about 7:45 am; our clinic opened at 7:30 am for surgery drop-offs with our first outpatient appointments scheduled for 8:00 am. We only have a couple of nurses and one doctor until later in the morning.

We have several clients waiting up front to either have their pet processed for surgery or to be brought to a room for exams when an existing client rushes in with her pet in medical distress. I pull her into a room, and all of our medical staff currently present begin life-saving measures.

Then, one of the 8:00 am slots shows up. I let everyone know the situation and inform them that there will be a wait. 8:00 am rolls around, then 8:05, 8:10…

Everyone is very patient and understanding despite having already been there for a while — all except for the newest arrival.

[Client] stands and comes to my desk.

Client: “Hi. My appointment was at 8:00 am. Will it be much longer?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, I don’t know. We don’t keep full staff in the morning, so all hands are on deck for the medical emergency right now. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. They are working as fast as they can, but the situation doesn’t look very good.”

Client: “But my appointment was prescheduled. I set it for this time because I work nights! I have to get home and sleep.”

My husband also works nights, so you will get no sympathy here.

Me: “Again, I know it’s frustrating, but the emergency is the priority right now.”

At this moment, a nurse tells me over our headsets that the patient has passed. We have a battery candle next to a sign on the desk informing clients that we have another client losing a pet and asking for quiet during that time when the candle is lit. I excuse myself and light it right in front of the client.

I lower my voice, speaking to the whole waiting area.

Me: “Hi, everyone. The nurses should be up soon to start taking you back now.”

Everyone nods solemnly, having read the sign — except for this lady, who is still hovering at my desk.

Client: “How soon?”

Me: “I’m not sure. They are comforting the other patient, but they should be up very soon now that all staff are not required. These other clients will be assisted first. Are you okay to wait, or would you like to reschedule?”

Client: *Huffs and puffs* “Is there really no one back there that can see my dog really quickly? It’s just a nail trim!

The look of disgust on the other clients’ faces — as she not only tries to jump the line and shows a complete lack of regard for someone else’s loss but does all of this for a nail trim — is priceless. They look astounded. I, being a NAR reader, am not surprised.

Me: “No, ma’am. Someone is currently saying goodbye to their family member, so a nail trim is not the nurses’ priority. I recommend you reschedule if you cannot wait.”

Client: “Fine! Never mind!”

She storms out.

She calls the office phone IMMEDIATELY after getting to her car to set another day up but also to continue her complaints about how inconvenient it is that she had to wait for “just a nail trim”. I think she was embarrassed to have all these patient people judging her in the waiting room.

The joke is that they can hear me speaking and tell who I am talking to. They all turn to listen as I again explain that an emergency takes precedence over a nail trim and that we have other people here first who are waiting for actual exams. She then tells me that she wishes someone had called to give her a heads-up so she didn’t bother coming out for nothing!

I end by telling her:

Me: “Ma’am, the emergency arrived right before you did, so I would have had to preemptively call you before they even arrived. The day I gain the ability to foresee the future, I will go buy lottery tickets.”

She quickly set a new appointment and hung up after that.

Getting That “Last Day” Energy

, , , , , , , | Right | May 19, 2024

I’m shopping at a local grocery store. The shortest line leads to a register with a prominent sign at the start of the line: “This register does not accept cash at this time.” I’m planning to pay by card, so I get in this line.

Lo and behold, the customer in front of me tries to pay with cash.

Cashier: “I can’t accept cash at this register.”

Customer: “What the f*** is wrong with you? Why wouldn’t you—”

Cashier: “Can you read English?”

Customer: “Huh?”

Cashier: *Slower* “Can you read English?”

Customer: “Of course I can! The f*** does that—”

Cashier: *Suddenly loud and aggressive* “THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE?!”

I watch in shock as [Cashier] steps away from the till and toward the back of the line, grabbing the sign.

Cashier: “Read this!”

Customer: “Why the—”

Cashier: “READ THIS SIGN! Out loud, right now!”

Customer: “…’This register does not accept cash at this time.'”

Cashier: “Do you know what that means?!”

Customer: “I—”

Cashier: “DO YOU KNOW what that means?!”

Customer: “It… means you can’t pay with cash here.”

Cashier: “Did you read this sign before you got in line?!”

Customer: “…No.

Cashier: “WHY DID YOU NOT READ THE SIGN? If you can read English, you have no reason not to read this sign! Why would you get in line at a till and not read the sign at the start of the line?!”

The customer says nothing more, only picking up their purchases and moving to another line. The cashier puts the sign back and storms back to the till.

Cashier: “This is why I’m leaving this job today!”

Some People Shouldn’t Be Allowed To Touch Their Own Stuff

, , | Right | May 20, 2024

Client: “My website is broken! Users can’t connect, and a lot of pages are missing! HELP!”

Me: “Have you changed something?”

Client: “No, of course not. I noticed the problem when I was deleting some lines in the database to improve the SEO.”