Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Don’t Work Here… But Hold On A Sec

, , , , , , , | Working | CREDIT: JustASteelHeart | December 7, 2023

I’m dressed up for an interview for a pretty nice store. I’m in all black with a dress shirt, pants, and shoes, with my keys clipped to my belt loop because that’s just where I keep them. I’m waiting on the manager to come and interview me for the job, hanging out up front, probably looking nervous.

A customer walks up to me.

Customer: “Can you tell me where [item] is?”

Me: “I don’t work here, but I know those are just around the corner. I shop here a lot, and I love [item]!”

I take the customer there and point it out.

After that, I meet up with the manager. The interview goes pretty well, though I’m super nervous.

We’re talking about details and follow-up as I make my way toward the front, where the checkouts are, and the customer I helped points me out.

Customer: “There! She helped me find this!”

I was hired that instant.

So Entitled You Can’t Even Picture It

, , , , , , , , | Right | December 7, 2023

I am a wedding photographer. At the time of this story, I was relatively new to the industry, and I would get bookings based on the quality of my portfolio but not the quantity. Therefore, I would accept half my fee as a deposit, and I would ask for the other half when I was ready to send over the final photos.

Me: “Hi, [Client]! I’m happy to say that I’ve finished touching up your photos, and they’re ready for you whenever you are!”

Client: “Oh, wow, that was fast! Please send me the link!”

Me: “I would be happy to. I just need to settle the other half of my fee, first.”

Client: “Oh, yes, I’ll get that over to you soon.”

Since I was early, I didn’t think much of it. However, a few days past the original delivery date:

Client: “You promised me the photos were ready early! But I still don’t have them!”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry if there was a miscommunication. Yes, the photos have been ready for almost a week! I just need to settle the bill, and I can send them straight away!”

Client: “I can pay you at the end of the month.”

Me: “That’s fine.”

Annoying, but fine. The next day:

Client: “I still haven’t got the photos!”

Me: “Yes, because you said you would pay at the end of the month.”

Client: “You mean you won’t send them until I’ve sent you the money?!”

Me: “That’s usually how it works, yes.”

The client hung up on me. At the end of the month, I sent them a reminder email, and I sent another one the week after that. No response. I figured maybe they were going through some post-wedding budgeting issues, and they would get back to me when they could. I had plenty of other projects to keep me occupied anyway.

Three whole months later, I received a very angry call from an older woman. I recognize her as the mother of the bride.

Mother Of The Bride: “You absolute monster! You’re holding my daughter’s wedding photos ransom so you can get more money from her?! You send over every photo right this instant, or I am taking you to court!”

Me: “I think there’s been a misunderstanding. Your daughter hasn’t paid me yet, which is why I haven’t sent the photos. I’m not holding any photos ransom!”

Mother Of The Bride: “That’s a lie! I paid you [amount] myself months before the wedding!”

Me: “That was a deposit, ma’am — 50%. I am owed the other 50% before I can send the photos.”

Mother Of The Bride: “You’re just making things up to get more money!”

Me: “If you check the contract that your daughter signed, you’ll see it’s quite clearly written there that my services are [full amount], with half paid before and the rest upon delivery.”

Mother Of The Bride: “Well… even if that’s true, that’s a ridiculous amount of money to charge for a few photos!”

Me: “I actually come in cheaper than the competition, ma’am.”

She hung up, and I didn’t hear back again so I assumed she had checked the contract and discovered I was right, and she was now figuring out what to do.

Amazingly, another three months went by, and I received yet another call, this time from the bride again.

Client: “How dare you?! You’re stealing my photos!”

Me: “Are we really going to go through this again?”

Client: “I can see my photos on your website! You have no right to use them! Take them down now!”

Me: “Oh, you mean my online portfolio. Yes, well, since you didn’t pay for them, I own them until you do. The pictures at your wedding came out so lovely that I had to use them on my site. They’ve helped me drum up quite a bit of business!”

For clarity, none of the pictures showed the faces of the client or her guests. I’d put up some candids of shoes, the cake, her dress, and a few other non-identifying features.

Client: “You’re profiting off of my photos!”

Me: “Yes, just like I was originally supposed to!”

A year after the wedding, the groom finally paid. He had no idea what was happening, but when he asked where the wedding photos were, he heard the long, drawn-out story. He was incredibly apologetic on the phone.


This story is part of the Editors’-Favorite-Stories Of-2023 roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!

There’s Upselling And Then There’s Scamming

, , , , , | Working | December 7, 2023

While on vacation in a different city, my family and I decided to buy a biscuit that the city is known for. While I’ve encountered plenty of upselling strategies (who hasn’t?), this was an… interesting new one.

Me: *Holding a gift box to the cashier* “Just this, please.”

Cashier: “Would you like to buy a second one? It’s only MOP70 more.”

Me: “No, thanks.”

Cashier: “But your purchase will come out to MOP500, and two boxes cost MOP570. You’re losing out!”

Other Employee: “It’s true, you know. I can help you get another box, if you like.”

Because the product happened to be the most popular, a stack of them was also on the counter next to the cashier, with a price tag reading “MOP375” that could be clearly seen from where I was standing.

Me: “I’m still going to decline.”

Cashier: “But it’s not worth it to buy just one box!”

This back-and-forth went on for a bit until my father cut in.

Dad: “Actually, forget it. We have a bus to catch, so we’re in a hurry. We’re just not going to buy anything.”

Cashier: “Okay, one box it is, then. Tell you what: we’ll even give you the employee discount.”

Interestingly, the total after the discount was the exact amount on the price tag.

The Embarrassment Will Never Wash Away

, , , , , | Right | December 7, 2023

A few years ago, I was working a couple of days a week in a car wash in my city. The work was backbreaking, and the pay was minimal, but at least I had fun with most of the colleagues there.

This car wash was part of a big national chain and sold store cards on which customers could put money. Using this card would net you a small discount.

One day, I was manning the POS [Point Of Sale], greeting customers, and taking their orders. Usually, this is a pretty straightforward process. You tell me what program you want, I punch it in on the register, you pay by cash, card, or store card, and you can drive on into the washing area. Most people purchased a wash program at the register and went through the program without issue. This person, though, was just… special.

Me: “Good day, sir. Which program would you like?”

The man in question didn’t even look at me when he said what program he wanted and held his store card out for me to take. I punched in his program and scanned his card.

Me: “I’m sorry sir, it seems there isn’t enough credit on this card left to purchase any of our programs.”

The customer still wasn’t looking at me.

Customer: “Scan it again.”

I scanned it fine the first time, but I scanned it again just for show. Of course, there was still not enough credit on it.

Me: “I’m afraid there’s not enough credit on the card. Would you like to put some money on it now?”

He finally looked at me.

Customer: “There’s a couple hundred euros on there!”

Me: “Well, the system says there isn’t. Maybe that was on a different card?”

It’s not that unusual for customers to have multiple different cards with us — for example, one for personal use and one for company use.

Customer: *Raising his voice* “I’ve put loads of cash on that card. Are you calling me a liar?”

Me: “No, sir, I’m simply telling you what our system says is on your card. I can’t process your order without any credit. You could pay some other way if you want.”

Customer: “I’ve put hundreds of euros on that card, and you lot stole it from me!

I simply didn’t know what to say against this absurd accusation.

Customer: “This whole chain stinks! Don’t you know who I am? I could buy this whole garbage heap in a heartbeat if I wanted to!”

At this point, for some reason, the customer flipped open his sun visor. Another store card fell out of it into his lap. He stopped ranting and handed it to me without looking at me. To my satisfaction, his face turned very red.

I took his card and scanned it. Lo and behold, THIS card indeed had hundreds of euros of store credit on it. I processed his order and handed it back to him with the biggest, smuggest smile I could muster.

Me: “There you go! Have a nice day!”

The customer then drove off without so much as a word.

Some part of me wished that I could do more to chastise his entitled a**, but my supervisor always said to “kill ’em with kindness” and I think I give it the old college try.

Spelling Silliness Can Keep You Howling For The Whole Day

, , , , | Working | December 7, 2023

Coworker: “How do you spell ‘holistic’?”

Me: “H-O-L-I…”

Coworker: “Ah, that’s it. I was trying to put a W in there.”

As in “whole”.

Me: “Howlistic?”