Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Perhaps The Children Are Reading About Better Parents

, , , , , | Right | June 22, 2023

I notice a woman bring in three of her children and direct them to the children’s books aisle. There’s nothing strange about that, but a few minutes later, I see her leave the shop without the children. I run up to her just outside the store entrance.

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am! You can’t leave your children unattended inside the store.”

Customer: “Oh, I am just going to get my hair done. They’ll be fine.”

Me: “Ma’am, I can’t let you leave the children in the store unattended.”

Customer: “They’re fine! They’re reading their favorite books, and I’ll only be a couple of hours.”

She starts to turn away, and I speak much more sharply.

Me:Ma’am! If you leave right now, I will have no choice but to call the police and report some abandoned children.”

The mother stares at me and I stare right back. She can tell I am not bluffing. She tuts and storms back into the store, loudly rounding up her children. She is muttering loudly, either to herself or to her kids, but definitely intended for us to hear.

Customer: “What’s the point of having kids who like to read if you can’t leave them in bookstores?!”

He’s What You Call An Ahr-o-GAHNT Doo-SHAY

, , , , , , , , | Working | June 22, 2023

For our two-month “anniversary” dinner, the person I was dating and I decided to walk down the street to a vegetarian cafe that had been recommended to us by several friends. We were both mostly vegetarian, but we had been known to occasionally slip up in that regard. This is sadly relevant.

We had the impression that this place was a friendly hole-in-the-wall with heartfelt vegetarian and vegan food, but they had recently done some rebranding to have more of a bistro feel, with bright white walls and linens, candlelight, and waiters in ties. Since it was an “occasion,” we were a bit dressed up, too, so it was all very charming.

We apparently didn’t polish our turd selves quite enough.

As we walked into the restaurant, which had just a handful of tables, we were asked if we had a reservation. We did not. The host/server (who could have been an understudy for Captain Peacock in “Are You Being Served?”) rolled his eyes.

Server: “Reservations are required since we only have a few tables.”

This made perfect sense, but we honestly were not aware of this fact.

Server: “Luckily, we can work you in this evening.”

We were taken to the shame table by the kitchen doors. Our friendly staff member returned with drink menus and food menus.

Server: “What would you like to drink?”

Date: “I’d like a few minutes to look at the drink menu, but could I perhaps start with some water, please?”

Again, our friend the server rolled his eyes.

Server: “We don’t have ‘water’. We have triple-filtered water from [Nearby Springs]. It costs [amount] per glass.”

That was good to know, but the eye-roll was confusing.

Date & Me: “Yes, please, that sounds delicious.”

When he returned with the ‘not water,’ he asked sarcastically if we’d had enough time to choose a drink. We had.

Me: “I’d like the Lavender Gimlet, please.”

He looked at me, shocked, and then replied, suddenly becoming very French:

Server: “Oh! You mean the le-VAHN-der zhim-LAY!”

I apologised and confirmed that that was what I wanted. He delivered the drink with great flourish, repeating, “Le-VAHN-der zhim-LAY!” several times for effect.

Then, I ordered dinner. I ordered the bibimbap. Before I ordered, I explained that I wasn’t familiar with this dish, so I’d probably mispronounce it. “Bye-bem-bahp” is what came out of me. “Bee-beh-BOHH” is how he corrected me.

Server: “I see you aren’t familiar with vegetarian cuisine.”

Me: “Oh, I’ve been vegetarian on and off for the past fifteen years or so.”

Of course, that was the wrong thing to say.

Server: “Oh, so you’re not a real vegetarian. See, we take things very seriously here. No wonder you’re unfamiliar with everything.”

And with another eye-roll, he disappeared.

My bee-beh-BOHH arrived in short order, and I consumed it and my Le-VAHN-der zhim-LAY in awkward silence.

The food was delicious, but the ridicule was a bit over the top. Our good buddy never checked on us again, though he did occasionally throw disparaging looks at us from the host stand. Interestingly enough, no further patrons entered during our entire meal.

Eventually, our friend returned, removed our dishes, and silently returned with the check. It’s hard to describe, but I had the impression that he didn’t believe we would be able to scrape together enough money to pay the bill, even though it really wasn’t outrageous.

The date completely fizzled out, and the relationship shortly behind it. In fact, the restaurant outlasted us by only a matter of weeks. I can’t help but wonder if the rapid transition from hole-in-the-wall to haute-haughty did them in.

When You Substitute Yourself Out Of The Diet

, , , , | Right | June 22, 2023

I would like to preface that the following conversation has no hint of irony whatsoever.

Customer: “I’d like the green salad, with the dressing on the side. I’m on a diet.”

Me: “I see. I’ll make sure the dressing is kept separate for you, ma’am.”

Customer: “Oh, but maybe add just a little bit of grated cheese? I’m allowed a little bit of flavor!”

Me: “I’ll let the kitchen know to add some grated cheese, ma’am.”

Customer: “And maybe add some grilled chicken to it? I need my protein!”

Me: “I’ll get the kitchen to make it a grilled chicken breast green salad, ma’am.”

Customer: “Hmm, no, not breast. It’s such a dry meat. Use chicken thighs!”

Me: “Of course, ma’am.”

Customer: “And maybe fry them, not grill them? I need them crispy to add some texture to my salad.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Customer: “And since we’ve added chicken now, can you also bring some blue cheese dip? Can’t have fried chicken without blue cheese!”

Me: “Of course, ma’am. Is that everything?”

Customer: “Yes, I think so. I’m so happy I am having a healthy green salad for my lunch! I should reward myself and get some cheesecake for dessert!”

She Needs Wide Open Spaces, Room To… Be Incredibly Bored

, , , , , , | Related | June 22, 2023

My daughter and I were driving home to South Texas from visiting her grandfather in Colorado. We stopped halfway in Amarillo, Texas, for the night. The next day, we started in the morning for the nearly ten-hour drive for the rest of our journey.

South of Amarillo is just small town after small town about every ten miles. They all look the same: a large community silo for grain storage, a train station for loading the grain, a small convenience store, and maybe a couple of other small businesses, all on the road through town. Between towns are just straight stretches of two-lane highways.

At one point, I yawned loudly.

Daughter: “Y’know, I bet this part of Texas was more interesting when it was at the bottom of the ocean.”

The Naked Truth About Crazy Neighbors

, , , | Friendly | CREDIT: nathan5660 | June 22, 2023

I’m a twenty-three-year-old male who lives alone. I practice nudism when and where possible, and as such, I am naked about 80% of the time I am at home.

This morning, I wake up and go about my usual stuff. Still naked, I notice that the kitchen bin is rather full; I had a rather large delivery dinner last night, and it is utter chaos in there! I pull the bag out, tie it up, and throw on my dressing gown/bathrobe to take the bag outside to the bins by the road.

It is a crisp 3 degrees C (37F) this morning, so I don’t want to be out there for long! The bins, yet again, are full — people dont bother to put them out properly and wonder why they fill up so fast — so I move my own bin onto the pavement where they are able to be collected easily. I throw the bin bag in it and am just heading back up the pathway to my front door when I hear a voice.

Woman: “EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME?”

I roll my eyes, take a breath in, and turn around.

Me: “Yeah?”

Woman: “Are you wearing anything under the robe?”

Me: “Uh… why does that matter?”

I know that it is done up correctly. I double-knotted the tie-up thing to make sure of it and wrapped it very tightly around me so it couldn’t slip open in any way.

Woman: “Well?! Are you?”

Me: “I don’t think that’s any concern of yours. I’m just putting my bin out—”

Woman: *Interrupting* “That means you’re naked under that robe. That’s illegal!”

Me: “Uh, no. No, it’s not. I’m covered, so it’s legal.”

As I turn away to open my door with my keys, she suddenly lunges up the path and grabs me by the arm.

Me: “Don’t you touch me! Get off!”

Woman: “YOU’RE NAKED UNDER THERE! THAT’S ILLEGAL! I’M CALLING THE POLICE! IT’S DAMAGING TO CHILDREN!”

Is it? Wearing a bathrobe is damaging to children, is it? Sure.

Me: “If you don’t let go of me, I will report you for harassment and violence. F*** off, woman, and leave me alone, I’ve done nothing wrong here.”

She let out an unintelligible grunt-scream-screech-type noise that made her sound like something from “Doctor Who” circa the 1970s. It ended with “…police!” so my guess is that she was screeching about getting me in trouble with them or something. I dunno.

Well, it’s 8:00 pm now with no sign of the police, so unless they take thirteen hours to respond, methinks she was either bulls***ting or the police told her to bog off.

While being naked under a bathrobe outside is not illegal, it might be considered odd, I suppose. But I didn’t see the point in putting anything else on for a two-minute task before being naked once I was back inside. I was fully covered up, so I don’t see what her problem was at all!


You’d like to think you’re safe near your own home, but they’re out there — crazy neighbors! Check out more weirdos near you in our roundup: 23 Crazy Stories About Nosy, Naughty Neighbors!