Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Dog Day Afternoon: But Way Darker

, , , , , , , , , , | Right | December 16, 2022

CONTENT WARNING: Animal Death

 

I’m a nurse in a hospital. I worked with a young woman in my first year after training. She is a perfectly pleasant individual but a little bit naïve and not the sharpest. She became a nurse because she is a genuinely caring individual, but she is also a daughter of rich parents, so she’s been a bit sheltered in her upbringing.

Around 2021, when the world has gone crazy and healthcare workers are being put through the wringer, she finally decides she can’t hack it right now and takes a sabbatical for a year. No one blames her; if we had rich parents to fall back on when the going got tough, we would, too!

However, as previously mentioned, she’s a lovely person, and she calls us regularly to catch up and talk to whoever is on break. We’ll call her Mandy. She actually spoke to a bunch of us over these next few calls, but to make the storytelling easier we’ll say it was just her and me talking.

Mandy: “My parents got tired of me lounging around the house all day, so they got me a job.”

Me: “Oh, really? What will you be doing?”

Mandy: “Our neighbors — the really rich ones — are going away skiing for a couple of weeks.”

Her family is already rich, so for her to consider this family “rich” must make them pretty loaded.

Mandy: “They have this old dog they don’t want to put in the kennel, so my parents volunteered me to live in their mansion for two weeks to look after the dog.”

Me: “Oh! That’s good!”

Mandy: “It’s sweet! Big house all to myself, a cute dog, and I’m getting paid! What could go wrong?”

A lot, dear reader. A lot could go wrong.

Two days later, we’re talking to Mandy again, but this time it’s not a social call.

Mandy: “The dog! The dog is dead!”

Me: “What happened?!”

Mandy: “I don’t know! I did everything I was supposed to, and when I woke up this morning, the dog was just dead!”

Me: “How old was the dog?”

Mandy: “Fifteen.”

Me: “That’s a pretty good age for a dog; it was probably his time.”

Mandy: “Yeah, he was on a lot of medications. What do I do?!”

Me: “Well, you have to call the family.”

Mandy: “But… what do I tell them?!”

Me: “You tell them that, unfortunately, it was the dog’s time. He lived a long good life and he went peacefully in his sleep.”

She is scared and understandably distressed, but she agrees this is the right thing to do and we end the call. She calls back a few hours later.

Mandy: “So, I called them.”

Me: “And?”

Mandy: “Well, they were pretty angry, but they understood it wasn’t my fault. They don’t want to come back from their vacation, so they’ve asked me to take the dog to a pet crematorium.”

Me: “Okay, glad you got it sorted.”

At the end of the shift, she calls back yet again.

Mandy: “The dog is gone!”

Me: “Well, yes, you told us that he passed already—”

Mandy: “No, as in actually gone!”

Me: “Mandy… what happened?”

Mandy: “Well, the pet crematorium was on the other side of town, so I took the subway—”

Me: “Wait, stop. You took a dead dog on the subway?

Mandy: “Well, yeah it was a long way.”

Me: “You couldn’t spring for a [Rideshare]?”

Mandy: “I’m not putting a dead dog in a [Rideshare]!”

Me: *Pinching my nose* “So, how did you carry this poor dog, Mandy?”

Mandy: “In a luggage suitcase. I got to the station, and I was carrying it up the stairs, but this dog was a heavy Rottweiler and I was struggling a bit. This handsome guy came up to me and offered to help me carry it to the street, so I said thanks! He carried it to the top, and he said, ‘It’s really heavy. What’s in here?’”

Me: “What did you say?”

Mandy: “I didn’t want to tell him there was a dead dog in there! So I just lied and said I was a DJ, and I was playing in a club tonight, and this was all my equipment. And then he ran off with it.”

Me: “He what?!

Mandy: “He ran off with the luggage.”

Me: “The luggage containing the dead Rottweiler?”

Mandy: “Yes! What do I do?”

Me: “Where are you?”

Mandy: “I’m still here at the exit. I’m across the street from the crematorium place.”

Me: “Well, the crematorium is right there, and they’re still expecting you. Go in and explain what happened.”

Mandy: “Will they help?”

Me: “Mandy, I honestly cannot say at this point, but the very least you can do is explain why they’re expecting to cremate a dog and now there is no dog.”

Again, she reluctantly agrees, and I go home with a story to tell the family.

The next morning, we get a call. Yep, it’s Mandy.

Mandy: “I explained it to the crematorium. They were shocked, but they’re also like, hey, it’s New York; stranger things have happened.”

Me: “So, what happened?”

Mandy: “Well, they had just finished with a Saint Bernard, so they gave me some of the leftover ashes and I’ve taken them back to the house.”

Me: “Wait… They faked the Rottweiler’s ashes?”

Mandy: “Yeah, they’re washing their hands of it. They said I can tell the neighbors what I want to.”

Me: “And…?”

Mandy: “What would you do?”

Most of the team advised her to be honest but, in the end, agreed it was her decision. However, all of the team wondered what the thief’s face looked like when he opened that luggage expecting some sweet DJ equipment… and found a dead dog.

Mandy came back to work last week. She still hasn’t told us what she decided to tell her neighbors.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!