Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When The Customer Doesn’t Want The D

, , , , , , , , , , | Right | July 14, 2023

I work in a grocery store bakery. We have a self-serve case for individual donuts. There is a code you can use for them at self-checkout. None of the bakery employees know it by heart — primarily because at self-checkout you can also just enter by name. The second you enter the letter D, “donut” pops right up.

I’m reorganizing the donut case when a customer starts bagging himself some donuts next to me.

Customer: “What’s the self-checkout code for these?”

Me: “Oh, you can search by name. It will pop up immediately when you enter the first letter.”

Customer: *Suddenly angry* “That’s not what I asked! I asked you what the code is for the donuts!”

Me: “I… don’t know it by heart?”

Customer: “How do you not know it?! How long have you been working here?!”

Me: “Uh… Long enough to know it’s easier to type in ‘donut’ than try to memorize some random group of numbers that are pointless.”

He ends up complaining to a manager, who also has no idea what the code is and tells him to do the same thing I did. He begins yelling and swearing about how unacceptable it is that nobody knows the code.

Manager: “Sir… do you not know how to spell ‘donut’?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!