Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Have Yourself A Nice Scam-wich

, , , , , , , , | Working | August 2, 2023

I went to the mall with my sister. We stopped at the food court for lunch and decided to go to a new place with a small kiosk. We each picked a premade sandwich with a $5 sticker on it, and we got two $2 water bottles. 

Cashier: “Hi there. Is this all together?”

Me: “Yes.”

Cashier: “Okay.”

She punched the amounts in by hand since there were no barcodes.

Cashier: “And your total is $21.20.”

Me: “Sorry? Two sandwiches and two waters? I counted about $15 with tax.”

Cashier: No. Two $7 sandwiches and two $3 bottles of water — that’s $20, plus 6% tax.”

Me: *Holding up the sandwiches* “They’re $5 sandwiches, and the sign on the cooler says waters are $2.”

Cashier: “Someone must have labeled them wrong.”

Me: “Okay, well, can you fix it? Or can we talk to someone?”

Cashier: “That’s your total. I’m not changing it, and I’m not wasting the manager’s time. Do you want it or not?”

My sister and I walked away without another word.

I went online that evening and found the place online. I found several reviews saying they had experienced the same thing. Every review pointing out these shady practices had a snarky reply from someone claiming to be the owner, basically blaming the customer for an attitude, accusing them of switching stickers, or something else.

I went back about three months after that and saw that the kiosk was empty. I guess sometimes shady businesses get what they deserve.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!