Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Father Versus Mother Nature

, , , , , | Right | April 22, 2021

I am working as an instructor in a high ropes course. Our business is based in a beautiful forest, so you can enjoy nature, take zip lines through the trees, climb through nets and onto bridges, and so on. To reach us, you have to walk about five minutes through the forest by a footpath.

It is the first day without rain for about a week, so the ground is still muddy and wet. We always recommend outdoor clothing — clothes which could get dirty and be cleaned easily. I am standing at our hut waiting for customers when this middle-aged father with his children and his wife appear.

Me: “Good morning, sir! Would you like to go on an adventure with us?”

Customer: “I want a refund! Look at my shoes! They’re totally messed up… It’s very dirty and muddy in the woods!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, it’s rained a lot the whole week.”

Customer: “You have to build a street or something! It’s unacceptable!”

Me: “I understand, but with all due respect, sir, this is an outdoor activity park. I am afraid we’re not allowed to build streets through the forest. We are just happy to be allowed to build this business here.”

Customer: *Screaming* “What bad service! Who do you think you are?! I want a refund! Now!”

Me: “I’m sorry. This is an adventure course with zip-lines; you will get a little bit dirty. I’m afraid we cannot give you a refund for something you didn’t book or pay.”

Customer: “Get me your manager! Now!”

I do as I’m told and the guy repeats his complaint about the mud and my “rude and bad service.” My manager listens and smiles.

Manager: “You have two options now: leave or have a wonderful day with your family here. But you won’t get a refund, discount, or anything else. It’s your choice.”

The guy’s family, who had been silent up to this point, was now in a panic. The kids wanted to go climbing in the trees and Mama did not want crying and arguing children. In the end, they just paid. My manager later gave the kids a free entry to our mini-golf, while their parents argued a lot about his behaviour.

Related:
Mother Versus Nature

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!