Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Being Nice Is Hard When You’re Out Of Practice

, , , , , , , | Related | May 25, 2023

I am the submitter of this story. My mum has had a bit of a redemption arc (wild, I know). My husband and I are staying with her temporarily for a few months until we can find our forever home. She has been making a significant effort to be a better person, and we’ve both noticed and are appreciative of it. 

I wake up one day to the doorbell ringing and a handyman having arrived to fix the back porch. I go to open the gate to let him through to the back. My mum, who has been working in the backyard, comes up on the other side of the gate. It’s 8:00 in the morning, I haven’t brushed my teeth or even put my glasses on, and she comes out with:

Mum: “Good morning, [Handyman]! This is my daughter. Isn’t she pretty?

Please note, I’ve never met the guy before. I cock my head at her and give her a completely unrestrained “WTF?” look. 

Handyman: *Awkward chuckle* “Yeah, you’re pretty!”

The cringe is palpable. I hold my “WTF” look for a couple more seconds before silently walking back into the house.

Later, when it isn’t so early in the morning anymore, I bring it up.

Me: “Mum, I don’t know what was going through your head this morning, but… maybe in future… don’t ask random handymen to comment on the appearance of your married twenty-nine-year-old daughter? That was so awkward.”

Mum: *Looking embarrassed* “You’re right; I didn’t think of that. I just… I never praised or said anything nice about you or [Brother] growing up, especially around other people. I only ever said bad things. I was trying to change that.”

I blink, silent for a moment.

Me: “Okay. That’s sweet. But still, terrible way to go about it, Mum! You kinda put both of us on the spot.”

I’ve started laughing at this point. Mum is sheepishly laughing, as well.

Mum: “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

Me: “A for effort.”

Baby steps, but she’s getting there.

Related:
Can’t Face The Face-Talking

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!