Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Returner Burner, Part 11

, , , , , , | Right | March 26, 2024

The store where I work will do price adjustments if items go on sale less than fourteen days after purchase. This is especially common with clothes, and we are informed of any large clothing discounts currently available so that we don’t have to waste time looking them up.

A customer walked up to the returns desk and requested a price adjustment on three identical items of clothing. However, she claimed that these clothes were 75% off, which is much larger than any clothing discount that we usually offer. Thinking that perhaps those specific items were on clearance, I checked anyway, only to find that not only was there no discount, but the price had actually gone up since she’d bought them!

I asked the customer where she had seen the sale price. She refused to answer at first, demanding that I just do the adjustment, but eventually, she stated that she had seen the discount on a sign. I asked her to go and take a picture of the sign so that I could verify the discount. She refused and asked to return the items instead, which I did.

When I tried to give her the return receipt, she began demanding that I go with her to see the 75%-off sign. Since I was the only person at the desk, I refused. After several more rounds of insisting that I and only I had to go with her, she stormed off muttering about how she was going to find the sign. I decided not to inform her that she was walking to the completely wrong section of the store.

Several minutes later, she returned with no photo and asked to undo the return. Due to store policy, this had to be done as a sale; there was no way to cancel a return after the money had been refunded. I still had the receipt, so I was able to adjust the prices to be the same as they were when she originally bought them.

When she saw the total, however, she began screeching about how I was trying to scam her. After several attempts to calm her down, I managed to discern that she wanted to get the three items of clothing for the price of one. I refused to adjust the price, showing her the return receipt as proof that the total was correct. She refused to accept this and opened a calculator app to “prove” her side of the argument. However, her attempts to do so only came up with the actual total. After a few attempts at this, she threw her phone back into her purse and claimed that she had forgotten how to use a calculator, but that the total was still wrong.

I was quite fed up with her, so I told her that if she kept trying to argue this point, I would just put the clothes away and she would leave the store empty-handed. She tried to call my bluff and was quite surprised when I canceled the transaction and began carrying the clothes away.

She quickly backpedaled and said that she would pay the price on the return receipt. Suspecting that if I actually put the items away she would accuse me of stealing, I decided to sell them to her. The transaction went smoothly, but at the end, she promised to come back later that day with a picture of the sign and expose our lies.

It’s been a month. I’m still waiting.

Related:
Returner Burner, Part 10
Returner Burner, Part 9
Returner Burner, Part 8
Returner Burner, Part 7
Returner Burner, Part 6

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!