Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 13

, , , , , , | Right | March 14, 2024

When I was fifteen, my first job was at a local fast food chain. The whole place was kind of shady, so I have plenty of stories about crazy people coming in. One of my first unfortunate experiences with customer service was when a lady came by and declared that she was gluten-free and couldn’t have our cones.

Me: “Okay! Would you like a cup, sundae, or blizzard instead?”

Customer: “No, I want a cone.”

I was confused and looked around for any of my coworkers to help. Unfortunately for me, they were busy.

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “I want a cone without the cone.”

Me: “So, in a cup?”

Customer: “No.”

She began to get frustrated with me.

Customer: “I want a cone… without the cone. The ice cream.”

Me: “Right. Would you like that in a cup, then?”

Customer: “No, I don’t want a cup! I want a cone!”

I stared back at her blankly. I was being paid generously under minimum wage, and dealing with aggravated adults was not my specialty as a shy teen.

Me: “Do you want me to make you a cone and take the ice cream off with my bare hands and hand it to you, or would you like me to put it in a cup?”

She then began to scream at me, so I simply made her a cup of ice cream for free so she would leave. She threw the cup toward me and stomped away.

Customer: “You’re discriminating against gluten-free people! I will not be coming back!”

Me: “Okay!”

Certainly, an interesting experience. 

Related:
Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 12
Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 11
Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 10
Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 9
Free Of Gluten, Free Of Thought, Part 8

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!