Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tis The Season For Unreason, Part 5

, , , , , | Right | December 30, 2018

(I work in a well-known retail store that does not offer free plastic bags; however, there are large reusable bags available for purchase for less than $1. It is the Christmas season and there is a long line of customers. I am at the register ringing up a woman who has multiple bags that she brought with her hanging off of her arm. After ringing up her purchases, she becomes angry that my store doesn’t supply free bags.)

Customer: “Why don’t you have free bags? How do you expect me to carry all of this out?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, we don’t offer free bags. I’d be happy to place your items in any of the bags you brought with you. Also, our store does have reusable bags for under $1. A single bag would fit all of your purchases easily.”

(I show her one of our bags.)

Customer: “No! Those bags are ugly! Just give me a regular bag!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but these are the only bags we have.”

Customer: “So, you expect me to buy a bag from you?”

Me: *trying to keep my smile* “No, ma’am, you don’t have to purchase a bag. I can put your items in any of the bags you have with you, if you’d like.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! I don’t want you to put them in my bags. I want you to put them in one of your regular bags!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but the bag I showed you is all that we have.”

(This roundabout argument continues. I’m anxious to get my line moving and to end the circular conversation with this customer. For less than $1, I’ll buy her a bag myself to achieve this.)

Me: *still smiling* “Since it’s so close to the holidays, I’ll give you one of our bags for free! This way you won’t have to purchase it, and you’ll have a bag to use the next time you return.”

Customer: “No! I don’t want an ugly bag! I want one of your regular, free bags!” *as she marches out of the store, she yells back* “I’d rather remain disappointed!”

Related:
Tis The Season For Unreason, Part 4
Tis The Season For Unreason, Part 3
Tis The Season For Unreason, Part 2

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!