Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Pushed Around And Found Out

, , , , , , , , | Working | June 30, 2023

I recently started a new job after quitting my old job. One of the things that caused me to quit my old job was that my supervisor actually grabbed me and shoved me out of the way after putting me on the registers after only four hours of training. I told the manager exactly what happened, and she actually said she couldn’t do anything about it. I reported her to her boss and then handed in my two weeks’ notice.

Now, I’m working at a grocery store, and once again, I’ve been put on the registers with barely any training, which was done by an unprepared girl who was quitting that day.

It’s worth noting that I also have anxiety and am on the autism spectrum. I think some employers think that people on the spectrum don’t know their rights, which is unfortunately true in some cases, especially when it was less understood twenty years ago.

I’m working my way through a long line of customers and keep having to ask my shift lead for a manager code or help with pricing. I’ve also asked for help repeatedly but only got lip.

Finally, my shift lead comes up to my register, pushes me out of the way without a word, and takes over.

Furious, I tear off my nametag and storm into the manager’s office.

Me: “I can’t work like this!”

Manager: “Whoa! What happened?”

Still fuming, I tell her exactly what happened, and her eyes get narrower and narrower. Then, I tell her that I was also basically assaulted at my last job, and I tell her about my lack of training.

She actually stands up and calls for the human resources manager, and they follow me to the register where the shift lead is still checking customers out.

Shift Lead: *To me* “Finally! Where have you been? You won’t last long with that attitude!”

Manager: “Actually, it’s you who won’t last long! You’re telling me you sent her on the register after less than a day of training?! You’re the front-end supervisor! Come into my office. I’m sorry, ladies and gentlemen. I’ll get someone else to check you out. [Coworker], if you’re on the clock, can you help these people out? I’ll get someone to help with your usual duties so you’re not behind.”

I go to the break room to calm down, and I can hear the store manager berating the shift lead for her behavior and attitude from where I sit.

The shift lead comes out in tears, and the store manager asks me to come into her office.

Manager: “I’m sorry for how [Shift Lead] treated you. You won’t have to worry about her anymore. Assault of any kind is not tolerated here. You can take today and tomorrow off to calm down, and then I’ll go over your schedule with you and [Assistant Manager] next week. And I promise you’ll get proper training. By the way, did you ever report the girl at your last job who assaulted you? [Human Resources Manager] can help with that; she works with the Labor Department.”

So, not only did my bad temper get my new shift lead fired, but I wound up getting two people at my last job suspended.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!