Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sweet Candy, Bitter Purchase

, , , , , | Right | July 23, 2010

(The grocery store has an ongoing deal where a gas coupon for 6 cents off per gallon prints at the bottom of the receipt. The minimum purchase is $30 before tax.)

Me: “Your total comes to $29.76 before tax.”

Customer: “It says it’s $30 there!”

Me: “That’s after tax, sir. The coupon won’t print out unless you spend $30 before tax. If you add a candy bar, maybe?”

Customer: “It says $30!”

(He pays for the groceries.)

Customer: “Where’s my coupon?”

Me: “Like I told you, it didn’t come to $30 before tax. I told you that if you add a candy bar onto it–”

Customer: “Well, ring me up for a candy bar and give me my coupon!”

Me: “It doesn’t work like that, sir. It has to be $30 all at once.”

Customer: “You’ve got extra coupons back here, don’t you!? Just give me an extra one!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but the coupons print at the bottom of receipts. We don’t have them to hand out. They will only print out when you purchase enough items.”

Customer: “Get me a coupon! I have a d*** candy bar!”

Me: “I can refund your entire order and then ring it up again with the candy bar. You’ll get the coupon that way, but your card might show a double charge for a brief period of time.”

Customer: “I don’t care! Do it!”

(I refund his entire purchase and then ring it up again, this time with a candy bar, putting his subtotal over $30. The 6-cent gas coupon prints out at the bottom. Satisfied, the man leaves.)

Coworker: “You know that guy doesn’t even own a car, right? He only has a bike.”


This story is part of our More-You-Read-The-Worse-It-Gets roundup!

Read the next More-You-Read-The-Worse-It-Gets roundup story!

Read the More-You-Read-The-Worse-It-Gets roundup!


This story is included in our Candy roundup!

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to read the Candy roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!