Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

People You Don’t Want To Spend Three Hours Sitting Next To

, , , , , , | Related | April 1, 2023

My mother-in-law is relentless. When she wants something, she will continue to hound and badger until she gets her way. I swear, I say, “No,” and she hears, “Try again later.”

She once texted me to ask if I wanted to go see a movie with her and her gal pals. I thought about it, but then I looked into the movie. I wasn’t really interested in seeing the movie in the first place but especially not after learning it was nearly three hours long. I texted back.

Me: “Sorry, I’m not really into seeing that movie. I have been thinking about seeing [Other Movie], though, if you’re not dead set on that one.”

Mother-In-Law: “No, we want to see [Long Movie]. Why can’t you come along?”

Me: “I just have no interest in seeing it or sitting for that long.”

Mother-In-Law: “I’ll buy your ticket.”

Me: “Sorry, I don’t want to go.”

An hour goes by. 

Mother-In-Law: “We are thinking about going to dinner before the movie at [Restaurant]. I’ll buy your meal and your ticket if you come to the movie.”

Me: “That’s very nice, but I still don’t want to see [Long Movie].”

Mother-In-Law: “Free everything and you’re still refusing to hang out? You must hate me!”

Me: “I’m just not interested in seeing [Long Movie]. I’ll come to dinner and buy my own meal, though.”

Mother-In-Law: “No. It’s all or nothing.”

Me: “Okay. Have fun!”

Nothing else is said until the day of the movie. [Mother-In-Law] calls me.

Me: “Hello?”

Mother-In-Law: “Where are you? The movie is about to start.”

Me: “Uhh… you mean [Long Movie]? I told you I wasn’t coming.”

Mother-In-Law: “I already bought your ticket!”

Me: “Why? I never agreed to go.”

Mother-In-Law: “I thought you would change your mind. Hurry up and get here.”

Me: “No. I am not coming.”

I hang up. Four calls and seven texts later, she sends a PayPal request for the cost of the ticket she purchased. I reject it and text her back.

Me: “I am not paying you for a ticket I told you I didn’t want. Sell it to someone else or deal with the loss. I am not responsible for this.”

She didn’t reply. Interactions like this are exactly why I struggle to hang out with her.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!