Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Know Wheat You Mean, Part 2

, , , , | Working | June 20, 2016

(It’s about eight years ago and I am Celiac, which is almost unheard of. There are few foods that never have gluten, and many that may have it, so I never bother to ask when I eat in restaurants and just assume I can’t eat it. I have just finished a steak with a salad.)

Dad: “Are you sure you don’t want any dessert? The ice cream should be gluten-free, and also the meringue cake.”

Me: “It’s too cold for the ice cream, and the meringue may get contaminated in the kitchen. I’m fine.”

Dad: “Nonsense! I’ll just ask a waiter if the cake is gluten-free.” *calls a waiter* “Excuse me, do you know if the meringue contains any gluten?”

Waiter: *without missing a beat* “I don’t know, sir, but I can ask the kitchen if they can add it for you.”

Dad: *struggling to keep a straight face* “Uh, thanks.”

(The poor overworked waiter heard an ingredient that he didn’t know and offered to add it just for us! Now, every time I ask if something is gluten-free, my father offers to add it for me.)


This story is part of our Celiac Awareness Day roundup!

Read the next Celiac Awareness Day roundup story!

Read the Celiac Awareness Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!