Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ah, Mothers, Part 10

, , , , , | Related | October 17, 2020

My parents can occasionally be a bit overprotective, especially when I am young, but this story is perhaps one of my favorite examples of my mother’s worry-wart tendencies.

I tend to be a bit of a night owl, so one night, I find myself very bored at about two in the morning, and I decide to go grab some fast food to occupy myself, as we don’t exactly live in the most hopping part of the state and there isn’t anything else to do. I grab the family dog, because he’s always happy to go for a car ride at any hour, hop in my car, and go to the nearest chain to grab a burger from the drive-thru.

I get home, my greasy prize in hand, and find my mom waiting for me at the top of the stairs with her hands on her hips.

Mom: “Where were you?!”

Me: “Uh… I went out to get food.”

I hold up the fast food bag.

Mom: “At this hour?! You shouldn’t be out by yourself!”

Me: “I went through the drive-thru. I didn’t even get out of my car. And besides, I had the dog with me.”

Mom: “What if something happened?!”

I just want to eat before the bag of something already barely resembling actual food becomes completely inedible, so I lay out my case.

Me: “Mom. First of all, we live in one of the most white-bread-suburban, low-crime areas possible. Second, I traveled a total of maybe ten miles. Third, I had the dog with me. And fourth, and possibly most relevant of all, I am twenty-four years old.”

After the appropriate pause to consider my input…

Mom: “Well, you still shouldn’t be out so late.”

She went back to her room somewhat sheepishly, and thankfully, my food was still hot.

Related:
Ah, Mothers, Part 9
Ah, Mothers, Part 8
Ah, Mothers, Part 7
Ah, Mothers, Part 6
Ah, Mothers, Part 5

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!