Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Beautiful Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked

, , , , , , , | Right | April 30, 2024

This is during the early stages of the world going crazy in 2020. Everyone is wearing masks, and we’ve just started using clear plastic dividers at the checkouts.

Customer: “You poor things; you look like you’re stuck in some weird little boxes.”

Me: “Yeah, it’s kinda weird.”

Customer: “I really appreciate you being open, especially with how crazy it is out there. I don’t know how I’d cope without my supplies.” 

Me: “Gotta keep the world turning somehow!”

The customer makes a big show of rubbing cleaning alcohol all over her hands and then passes me a $50 bill contained inside a Ziploc bag.

Customer: “To show how much I appreciate it!”

Me: “Oh, ma’am! That’s very kind, but I can’t accept that.” 

Customer: “If you’re worried about germs, keep it sealed for a few days so anything nasty inside can die, and then—”

Me: “No, it’s not that. Thank you for thinking about the germs, but it’s just that we can’t accept tips.”

Customer: “What are they gonna do, fire you when the world needs you the most right now? Let ’em try! Besides, it’s not a tip, it’s hazard pay!”

And with that, she walked away with her groceries, refusing to take no for an answer. Those were my hardest years in retail ever, but customers like her, who appreciated us for being there instead of shouting at us for having the audacity to ask customers to wear masks for our own safety, kept me going.

Related:
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 32
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 31
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 30
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 29
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 28

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!