Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 29

, , , , , , | Right | March 14, 2023

I’m a cashier at a gas station. It is September 2022. I am vaccinated but still choose to wear a mask for two reasons. One, I handle money from hundreds of customers daily and [contagious illness] is still around. Two, unfortunately, due to two pregnancies and a lack of vitamins, at age thirty-one, I’ve had to have my teeth removed.

I’m working the register when a customer comes in.

Me: “Welcome to [Store]. How can I help you today?”

The customer pays for gas and a pack of cigarettes and then comes out with this gem.

Customer: “You know, you shouldn’t be bothering with the mask. You look like a Trump. No, even better, a Biden! You’re going to lose customers looking like that.”

Me: “Sir, it’s more of a personal choice. I don’t mind continuing to wear them. Have a great day!”

I don’t even wear proper hospital-grade masks. I wear fabric ones with prints — currently Halloween-themed — so I don’t look like a germophobe, though a proper mask would protect me better.

Also, I currently have a coworker out sick for the next five days with — you guessed it!

At this point, I assume the interaction is over, but of course, I’m not that lucky as the customer comes back in a minute later.

Customer: “I swore I bought [Cigarettes], but apparently not. I’ll take another pack.”

I ring him up without comment, only asking for ID again and wishing him a great day yet again. He walks all the way to the door before turning and practically yelling at me.

Customer: “You know, I should put in a complaint about you, Miss Biden. You’re just showing that your company supports him!”

Me: “Sir, as I’ve said, it’s a personal choice. Please, have a good day.”

Customer: “You’re what’s wrong with America!”

Me: “Okay, sir. You can leave now.”

The customer did leave, thankfully. I still think he came back in just to harass me again. I get the [health crisis] is over, but seriously, me wearing a mask affects nobody but me. I’ll never understand why people think they have a right to comment on another person’s appearance, ever.

Related:
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 28
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 27
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 26
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 25
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 24

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!