Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Didn’t Honestly Expect That To Work… Did They?

, , , , , | Right | November 8, 2023

I work at a huge box store that sells everything from groceries to electronics. A couple is checking out with a large HD flatscreen in a box. The barcode has a sticker over it, which isn’t anything unusual in its own right, but it is when it scans as a bag of grapes totaling $2.69.

Me: “Huh, that’s not right.”

Customer: *Defensively* “What’s not right?”

Me: “This TV is scanning incorrectly.”

Customer: “We found it in the sale section, so you must be getting the sale price.”

Me: “No, sale stickers look different to this. Also, we wouldn’t sell a TV for $2.69! If we did, I’d be buying a dozen!”

Customer: *Nervously now* “Well… maybe it’s on clearance?”

Me: *Typing in the TV code manually* “No, that’s a different sticker, too. Sometimes, some customers will swap stickers from cheaper products to more expensive ones to try to pay a cheaper price. I don’t think that’s what happened here, though, as no one would be stupid enough to think they could get a—” *finishes typing in the code and hits “enter”* “—a $1,999 TV for the price of a pack of grapes. Yeah, that would be too stupid, so my guess is this is a bit of a prank.”

Customer: *Nervous laughter* “Yeah… haha… a prank.”

Me: “Anyway, that’s $1,999. Will that be cash or card?”

Customer: “You know what? I think I left my wallet in the car. Let me just go get it.”

Me: “Of course! Take your time! I’ll be right here with your TV waiting!”

They did not come back. We were all laughing about it all day.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!