Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Voice Of Reason Says It’s Time To Find New Bosses

, , , , , , , | Working | CREDIT: Walkerg2011 | May 20, 2022

I have worked in retention, first-party collections, and accounts receivable for a rural Internet provider for seven years now. I consistently get 100s on quality assurance calls. They even use my calls as training material. However, I have a unique voice. Customers tell me all the time I should do radio, be an announcer, or should be a game show host. It isn’t just me on the phone; this is me in casual conversation, as well.

Today, however, I get a call from my manager telling me she has a sensitive matter she needs to discuss with me. One of the owners of the company advised her that he doesn’t think that my voice jibes with the view the company wants to project of itself. As I said, we’re a rural Internet company. Our clientele is basically lower -to middle-class rural folks in Texas. He told her to tell me I need to change my voice but didn’t give any specifics.

I asked if it was my tone. No, apparently, it’s great because I’m upbeat and show a willingness to help. Is it my talking speed? No, my speed tends to match the customers’. Maybe my cadence? “I don’t know,” but it needs to change, apparently.

I have been here for seven years, and only now does it become a problem. I am furious. I am absolutely livid. I am also mildly embarrassed, because I know I’m different. I shouldn’t be embarrassed, but it’s hard not to feel this way. I was already planning to abandon the ship, but it seems the timetable has been sped up. After dealing with horrible callers, incompetent rotating management, inconceivable rule changes, and an overall poor experience, this is just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!