Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Phone Might Not Be Connecting, But The Employees Definitely Aren’t

, , , , , , | Working | December 14, 2023

I have a prepaid cell phone. It doesn’t have some of the bonuses of a monthly plan with the big carriers, but it’s FAR cheaper, and I wouldn’t be taking advantage of those bonuses anyway. Also, they now have unlimited talk and text. Yay! Or at least until the day I pick it up to make a call, and instead, it auto-connects to a support line talking about adding more minutes.

Confused, I check my account; it shows that the airtime is still good until the end of August while it’s the middle of June, but it doesn’t show talk or text at all — unlimited, zero left, or anything. According to the site, my plan only covers data. Further baffled, I call out again to get this support number. I’m slightly worried that there are no separate “technical” and “account” options, just “buy more time” and “support”. I connect with support and explain the problem with my account.

Support #1: “Okay, sir, I will ask you to please reset your phone.”

Me: “Um, I know that’s always the first step for tech support, but the issue is with my account, not my phone.”

Support #1: “Yes, sir, it appears that your phone is not connecting your account properly.”

Me: “Yes, it is. When I check my account — including from other devices — it shows that I don’t have any minutes or texts.”

Support #1: “I understand, sir. It is because your phone is not connecting to our network that it is not showing properly. If you could please restart your phone, then we will try to connect.”

Me: “I’m on the phone right now, talking to you. Can you call me on my home number?”

Support #1: “Yes, sir. Please restart your phone and we will see if it connects.”

Realizing I’m talking to a brick wall, I hang up, restart my phone, and call the main support line from my landline. Shocker, restarting my phone doesn’t fix an issue with the account.

Finally, I get through to someone with an almost impenetrable accent that I can’t even place, but they speak slowly, so at least I have time to try to figure out what they’re saying.

Support #2: “All right, sir, are you calling from the phone in question?”

Me: “No, I’m calling from my other line.”

Support #2: “All right, sir, thank you. Would you kindly restart your phone, please?”

Me: “I kind of just did. I had to call back because I called from that line and they asked me to restart.”

Support #2: “Yes, sir, if you could please restart your phone now.”

Me: “Oooookay.” *Does so* “All right, it’s back up.”

Support #2: “You should be able to make your calls now, sir.”

Me: “You sure about that?”

I punch in a number and put the phone on speaker.

Me: “Yeah, that sounds like your support line. Like I said, my account is messed up.”

Support #2: “Okay, sir, please, if we could, go into your phone’s network settings.”

Me: “Okay, but why, though?”

Support #2: “We need to be sure that your phone is connecting to the correct network.”

Me: “My account. Is currently messed up. It is not showing that I have any minutes, but I should have unlimited minutes.”

Support #2: “Yes, sir. If we are to fix this, once the network is corrected, this will fix your issues.”

Me: “I doubt it, but fine.”

I follow all the steps, restart my phone AGAIN, and make a call.

Me: “And it’s still not going through.”

Support #2: “All right, sir, thank you for your patience. I will ask if we can try to reset the network settings one more time.”

Me: “No. I want to speak to a supervisor, now.”

Support #2: “All right, sir, I can do the transfer for you, but if you would like to give me a chance, I am certain I can fix this for you.”

Me: “And I’m certain you can’t in any timely manner. Please send me to your supervisor.”

Eventually, I get through. I explain the situation, and the supervisor takes a look at my account. They say something in a language I don’t understand, but they do NOT sound happy about it. They also start rapid typing in a way that sounds like a machine gun going off.

A minute later, they pipe up again.

Supervisor: “I’m very sorry for all of this, sir. I have made some changes to your account. I do not know how this happened. If you could, please type [button combination] on your phone. Depending on the model, it may ask you to reset after connecting.”

I hit the buttons. It confirmed reactivation, and the message said to reset. I reset. I made a test call, and THE CALL WORKED! It really is amazing what happens when you listen to the actual problem the customer is having.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!