Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Death Of A Client Relationship

, , , , , , , , | Right | January 22, 2024

Years ago, I worked as a receptionist in a small, one-doctor veterinary office. One day, I received a call concerning the unexpected loss of one of the doctor’s family members. I pulled her from an appointment to take the call and went in to wrap things up and reschedule with the client, who was known to be a bit of a pain.

Me: “I apologize, but the doctor has been called away by an emergency. I am afraid we will have to reschedule Fluffy’s appointment.”

At this point, a heart-wrenching wail could be heard from the office where the doctor had gone to take the call.

Me: *In a confidential tone* “Sadly, there has been a death in the family.”

Client: *Explosively* “I can’t believe this! I swear! I’m going to go to [Other Vet Office across town]! This happens every f****** time I come in!”

Me: *Icily* “I doubt that, sir. She only had the one father, after all.” 

Rather than reschedule his appointment, I emailed all of his pet’s records to the vet he mentioned, who just happened to be the most expensive in the region. He seemed shocked to later find that he had been fired as a client.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!