Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Couponator 20: Complaining Back In Time

, , , , | Right | October 20, 2020

A woman approaches the customer service desk with a receipt and a stack of coupons.

Me: “Hi, how can—”

Customer: “I need credit for these.”

Me: “Let’s see what we have here.”

I begin sorting through the pile; a quick tally tells me she has over $50 in coupons. I look at the receipt.

Me: “Um… you had all of these coupons when you bought these items?”

I hold up the receipt.

Customer: “Yes. So?”

Me: “Well… these coupons came out in yesterday’s paper and this receipt is six months old.”

Customer: “Well, you… I… they should have come out sooner!”

Me: “I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I couldn’t even use this receipt for a regular return.”

Customer: “Why not?”

Me: “Because it’s six months old and we have a ninety-day return policy. These coupons were not issued when you purchased these items.”

Customer: *Smugly* “Then I’ll return everything and buy it again.”

Me: “With a valid receipt?”

Customer: “You’re holding it!”

Me: “Ma’am, this receipt is out of date. It’s invalid. I’m sorry, my hands are tied.”

Customer: “You b****! I need this money!”

Me: “There’s nothing I can do. I’m sorry.”

Customer: “I’ll have your job for this!”

Me: *Deep breath* “Have a nice day, ma’am.”

She stormed out. I was told the next day that a complaint had been made against me, saying I had laughed at the woman and called her poor, ripping up her coupons and blowing the bits in her face. The manager checked the video while the woman was on the phone, recounting exactly what he saw as it happened. When he asked about the timing of her accusations, the woman screeched and hung up.

Related:
The Couponator 19: Fast Food & Furious
The Couponator 18: The Digital Revolution
The Couponator 17: Attack Of The “Programmer”
The Couponator 16: Enter The Entree
The Couponator 15: The Transaction Void

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!