Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Biggest Pain Is Doctors Who Don’t Listen

, , , , , , | Healthy | November 9, 2023

I have a degenerative autoimmune condition that causes a lot of pain. As a result, I don’t always notice injuries the way most would; I have walked on multiple fractures until unrelated scans found them. Long story short, I’ve got a pretty high pain tolerance. Despite this, I am often accused of being drug-seeking because I visit a lot of doctors and had a string of emergency room visits on record pre-diagnosis. 

I am about to have an operation to repair a badly damaged ankle. I am gowned and about to be wheeled into the operating room.

Doctor: “Okay, what pain medication do you want? Where am I sending this?”

Me: “Oh, it’s okay. I don’t want anything.”

I am planning to control my pain with over-the-counter medication and a certain plant that is legal in my state. This has always worked better for me.

Doctor: “Just tell me what pain medication you want so we can get on with this.”

Me: “I’m really okay. I’ll be fine with what I have at home.”

Doctor: *Visibly irritated* “We’re literally breaking your leg today. You need pain medication.”

I’m trying to be polite, but I’m getting annoyed.

Me: “No, I don’t, thank you. I don’t want narcotics. I don’t like the way they make me feel, they don’t really work for me, and I don’t want to be flagged as drug-seeking again.”

The doctor is clearly not listening at this point.

Doctor: “I’m putting you down for Percocet. We’ll get your pharmacy from your file.”

With that, she flounced off. The medication was filled. Initially, I just left it, but when I sent a friend to pick up an unrelated medication, she ended up grabbing it, as well. I took exactly one pill, which did nothing except hit me with side effects, and I flushed the rest. I was able to control my pain via my usual methods and am currently doing fantastic with my rebuilt ankle. 

Listen to your patients, doctors. You know more than we do about medical science, but we’re living in our own bodies, and sometimes we do know what’s best for us.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!