Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some Good Boys Meet A Very Good Boy

, , , , , , , | Right | September 27, 2023

I am checking out a family with two young sons. I work in a small local store, and I have a disability that means I need an assistance dog, a golden good boy who is laying next to me wearing a high-viz vest.

Young Boy #1: “Mom! Look! It’s a dog!”

Young Boy #2: “He looks like a good dog!”

Customer: “Yes, boys, but look what he’s wearing.”

Young Boy #1: “The bright vest?”

Customer: “Yes, the high-visibility vest, and remember what that means?

[Young Boy #2] speaks in that manner that shows he and his brother have learned this word-for-word.

Young Boy #2: “That he’s a working dog and we shouldn’t approach or touch.”

Customer: “Very good. So look, admire, but don’t touch.”

Young Boy #1 & #2: “Yes, Mom.”

Me: “I have to say, that is so refreshing! Most parents don’t teach their children about working dogs.”

Customer: “Oh, I’ve heard too many stories about kids getting too excited about dogs and it going too far. I nipped that in the bud with my boys a long time ago.”

Me: “That’s awesome! Although, it’s getting to be around snack time for my dog, and it’s not against his training if he receives snacks from other people as long as he sees me give them to that person first. Would that be okay?”

Customer: “Oh, wow! My boys would love that!”

I go through the trained process of letting my doggo know that it is snack time. He diligently stands up, knowing a well-earned treat is coming. He sees me take two treats and give them to each boy, and they excitedly step up and offer them to the dog. Once I give the “okay” signal, he happily chows down the treats, tail wagging. I also give the signal that it’s okay to accept the boys’ petting for a while, and for a moment, all three are the image of pure joy.

Customer: “Thank you so much! We lost our dog to ripe old age a few months ago, and they’ve been missing him. This was really sweet of you. Thank you for giving permission.”

Me: “What are you talking about? It’s my dog who gave permission to me!”

With that, they finished their purchase, the boys gave a big goodbye hug to my very good boy, and he went straight back into diligent work mode. I don’t deserve him.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!