Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Seriously Impossible Demands

, , , , , , , | Learning | April 20, 2022

I am in fifth grade at a small private school where there is only one class for each grade. I am running late for school, and my classroom is on the other side of the building from the front door. I am rushing to try to get to class. It’s important to note that it is a well-known fact around school that I am mostly deaf.

I finally reach my classroom, but no sooner do I sit than my teacher informs me that the eighth-grade teacher wants me down in her room. I am not sure what this could be about, given I have never met the woman, but I walk down anyway. She stands at her door when I arrive, a scowl on her face.

Teacher: “I can barely look at you. The disrespect!”

I’m confused since I am a rather mild kid.

Me: “Uh, pardon? What did I do?”

Teacher: “You know what you did.”

Me: “No, I seriously don’t. I don’t think we’ve ever talked before?”

Teacher: “Well, I tried to talk to you this morning, and you so rudely blew me off!”

Me: “Huh? When did I do that? Ma’am, I only arrived five minutes ago.”

Teacher: “I know. I immediately requested to speak with you. I tried to say good morning, and you didn’t say it back!”

I am starting to piece together what happened. I figure maybe, since we’ve never interacted, she didn’t realize that I wasn’t ignoring her, especially since I read lips so I am handling this conversation well.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m hard of hearing. I didn’t know you tried to say good morning.”

Teacher: “Oh, I know about your hearing problems, but that gives you no excuse to be so rude to me!”

Me: “I’m… sorry? I really can’t hear. What do you expect me to do?”

Teacher: “Just don’t pull that near me! Listen when I’m nearby!”

Me: “That isn’t how hearing loss works.”

Fortunately, the bell rang then, signaling the actual start of the day, so she had to get back to her class, and I ran down to mine. Unfortunately, my ears did not magically heal whenever she was in the area, but as far as I’m aware, she never tried to speak to me again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!