Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Say It Louder For The Harassers In The Back!

, , , , , , | Friendly | September 15, 2023

Back many years ago when I was not old, I was a stay-at-home mom. I occasionally worked for my uncle at one of his bars/restaurants when he needed some extra help.

I was filling in as a waitress at a downtown establishment on Saint Patrick’s Day. It was located close to the courthouse, so it was frequented by local officials and quite a few attorneys. It was around noon, and one table of gentlemen had already been celebrating their Irish heritage for a while when I started serving them.

One particular patron was inappropriate from the beginning, both verbally and physically. He thought he was hilarious and irresistible. Remember, this was long before “Me Too” and we just ignored idiots up to a point.

After about forty minutes of this banter, a member of his party who knew my family told him to knock it off because I was [Uncle]’s niece. Immediately, this drunken attorney became my apologetic shadow. He followed me around telling me he was sorry and begging me to not tell [Uncle].

I finally put down my tray and responded within earshot of his colleagues.

Me: “Your behavior isn’t wrong only because you know my family. Every woman in the service industry has a family. Just because you aren’t acquainted with them, it does not mean they have to put up with your harassment!”

He grabbed his coat and left, red-faced, after leaving a decent tip.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!