Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Privilege And Perspective

, , , , , , | Working | September 8, 2022

While I’ve long understood the idea of privilege on an academic level, this is the story of how I really got it. It happened a few years ago when people were reporting random creepy clown sightings, and there was lots of talk of people wanting to react violently to any creepy clowns they might come across. I was sitting in the break room at work with two coworkers.

Coworker #1: “I’m volunteering at the haunted house exhibit near my home.”

Me: “What are you doing there?”

Coworker #1: “I’m a scary clown. It’s fun, and it’s really convenient because it’s only a half mile, so I can walk.”

Coworker #2: “You don’t walk home in your clown get-up, do you? Not in the dark?”

Coworker #1: “Of course I do. The makeup is hard to get off, and I don’t want to bother trying to change in the bathroom or something.”

Coworker #2: “But aren’t you worried someone will try to hurt you, with all those weird clown sightings?”

Coworker #1: *Truly baffled* “No, not at all. Why would I be worried about that? Oh, hey, my break’s over. Talk to you later.”

He left.

Coworker #2: “I can’t believe he’s not worried. I wouldn’t want to walk around at night dressed like that.”

Me: “Yeah, no way would I be comfortable with that.”

Then, it dawned on me.

Me: “Oh… Oh! He’s been six and a half feet tall since he was a teen, and he’s white. You and I are of average height, you’re black, and I’m a woman. He’s never had to look over his shoulder in a sketchy area.”

Coworker #2: “That’s got to be it. He’s never had to think about that, has he? I hope his confidence isn’t misplaced.”

Happily, [Coworker #1] was fine. It was certainly an eye-opening conversation for me.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!