Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Person’s Prank Is Another Person’s Heartbreak

, , , , , , , | Related | March 19, 2024

I just read a story about Christmas presents that made me want to share one.

When I was a child, the youngest of four, I thought it was hilarious and quirky when my dad would give empty gifts as a joke. Sometimes there would be boxes within boxes, each layer wrapped in pretty paper. With each layer, you’d get more hopeful for an actual gift and would be incrementally more disappointed.

He would also give empty candy at all times of the year. Imagine a carefully re-folded chocolate wrapper that looks full until you hold it. I generally had a fun time guessing and calling him on his prank.

However, I gained some perspective from the fact that my siblings hated it when I did this to them. Pretty much no one liked it unless I gave them real candy afterward. I’m not too candy-motivated, so if I had put a Starburst wrapper back together to trick someone, I probably had more Starbursts left to give.

I recently found out my sister was really hurt by my dad’s behavior. She lived with him growing up, whereas I only saw him a couple of times a month, which I suspect had something to do with it.

She painted a scene of herself and our older sister standing excited that Dad had gotten them each a big chocolate bar since he almost never got them treats… and the disappointment when they were empty. Dad just laughed at them. He had eaten the chocolate himself.

I guess it’s a good reminder that just because someone isn’t upsetting to you, it doesn’t mean the same behavior isn’t traumatizing to someone else.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!