Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Very Closed-Minded, Part 36

, , , , , | Right | July 8, 2020

I work in a rather popular restaurant. Our lobby has closed at 9:00 pm and it’s around 9:30 pm with some customers still sitting in the restaurant, finishing the meals they ordered before we closed. There are bright red signs on both entrances with big words saying “Dining Room Closed.” Because there are customers still eating, we cannot lock the doors.

A bus has just pulled into the parking lot and two girls open the door and half-step in the doorway.

Girl #1: “Can we come in?”

Coworker: “If you need to use the restroom, yes. However, our dining room is closed.”

Girl #1: “Oh, we wanted food.”

Coworker: “Well, since the kitchen is still up and running for drive-thru orders, we can let you order, but it would have to be to go.”

Girl #2: “So, we can’t eat in here?”

Coworker: “No, sorry. As our doors say and as I already mentioned, the seating area is closed.”

Girl #2: “Well, why do they get to sit in here?!” 

She is referring to the customers finishing their meals in the seating area.

Coworker: “They were here before we closed.”

The girls agree to take an order to go and wave in the rest of the people from their bus. About twenty to thirty teenage girls are now packed in our lobby. They all order food and aren’t out of there for about twenty minutes. Because of the large number of orders, the kitchen has to pretty much restart an hour of cleaning they already finished and I have to clean areas of the lobby again.

After they leave, I get a look of annoyance on my face and turn to a coworker who was hanging out and not on the clock.

Me: “What part of ‘we’re closed’ is so difficult for people to understand?”

Coworker #2: “You think people would know by now.”

This is not the first time something like this has happened and will not be the last.

Related:
Not Very Closed Minded, Part 35
Not Very Closed Minded, Part 34
Not Very Closed Minded, Part 33
Not Very Closed Minded, Part 32
Not Very Closed Minded, Part 31

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!