Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lack Of Register Does Not Register, Part 12

, , , , , | Right | January 13, 2019

(It’s a relatively quiet morning at the grocery store where I’m a cashier. Only one or two registers have customers and no one is waiting in line. I’m at my register with my light on, waiting for the next customer when one approaches and looks at me for a moment.)

Customer #1: “Are… are you open?”

(I assure the customer that I am indeed open, ring them out, and send them on their way. An hour or so later we have more customers in the store but are still not terribly busy; there are no long lines. I am in the middle of assisting a customer when my supervisor comes up, turns off my light, and puts up the “register closed” sign.)

Supervisor: “Go ahead and take your break after this customer.”

(Moments after she leaves, [Customer #2] approaches my register and sets his basket down without a word.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, this register is closed.”

(The customer says nothing, just stares straight at me like he’s trying to Jedi mind trick me into delaying my break to help him so he doesn’t have to walk three feet to the next register with no line.)

Current Customer: “Dude, her light’s off. She’s closed.”

(The man continues staring at me a little longer. Finally, he leaves. I thank my current customer, finish his transaction, and take my break. Sometime later, towards the end of my shift, I’m once again waiting at my register, with the light on, for the next customer when one approaches me and hesitantly asks…)

Customer #3: “Excuse me? Is this register open?”

Related:
Lack Of Register Does Not Register, Part 11
Lack Of Register Does Not Register, Part 10
Lack Of Register Does Not Register, Part 9

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!