Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kind Of Feels Like NONE Of That Should Be Legal

, , , , , , , | Working | August 28, 2023

About ten years ago, I worked in the cosmetics department of a large pharmacy chain. They were very adamant about pushing flu vaccinations. Employees were required to answer the phone, “Thank you for calling [Store]. Have you had your flu vaccine?” Customers seemed genuinely annoyed about it; some would answer yes or no, but some would just ignore the question and say what they were calling about. 

I didn’t partake in getting the vaccine due to the cost. I made $7.50 an hour, and I didn’t have the extra money to spend. 

I had worked there for six months and had never called in sick until, one morning, I woke up with a sore throat, a fever, and fatigue. I got a doctor’s appointment that morning and tested negative for the flu but positive for strep throat. 

I called in and asked for a manager. Lucky me, I got [Assistant Manager], who was arrogant and an all-around complete jerk. He was the one who got mad that I was helping an elderly customer find the items she was looking for; he had to ring up a customer who was waiting by my register. I was berated for doing my job! 

Me: “Hey, [Assistant Manager], I won’t be able to come in tonight. I am sick. I have—”

And before I could finish, he cut me off.

Assistant Manager: “Did you get your flu shot?”

Me: “Well, no, I don’t have—”

He cut me off again.

Assistant Manager: “Well, you know we offer them here. There’s no excuse for you to have not gotten it. If you would have gotten it, you wouldn’t have gotten sick, now, would you?”

Me: “Well, if I had gotten it, I’m afraid it wouldn’t have helped. I’ve been trying to tell you that I have strep throat.”

Assistant Manager: “Oh, well, when you come back, I expect you to get the shot. Otherwise, if you do get the flu, I will write you up.”

I went back to work two days later. 

A few weeks went by, and [Assistant Manager] called me into the office.

Assistant Manager: “I got a complaint that you didn’t help a customer.”

Me: “When was this?”

Assistant Manager: “Three nights ago. He said you walked past him as you were headed out the door.”

This sounds odd to me; if I was walking out the door, it meant I had already clocked out for the night.

Me: “Was this after 11:00?”

Assistant Manager: “Yes, the guy said it was a little after 11:00.”

Me: “You know, I get off at 11:00, and if I was headed out the door, that meant I was already off the clock. No customer approached me for help.”

Assistant Manager: “Well, we expect you to help customers even if you are off the clock.”

Me: “So, you want me to work off the clock?”

Assistant Manager: “Yes, you would be providing good customer service. I’m going to have to write you up.”

Me: “So, you expect me to stick around and help customers even if I’m off the clock?”

Assistant Manager: “Yes. It’s all about customer service.”

Me: “Wow. You are writing me up for not helping a customer off the clock, even though no customer approached me? Working off the clock is illegal. You know what? I quit.”

I tossed my name badge on the desk and clocked out. 

Did I mention that in the six months that I was there, ten people quit? It was because of this assistant manager, and the store manager was worse!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!