Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Takes A Real Gem To Win Over The Matriarch

, , , , , , | Related | December 12, 2023

I’m going with my boyfriend of two years to visit his family in Texas.

Boyfriend: “Now, just so you know, if things get uncomfortable, it’s not your fault.”

Me: “What?”

Boyfriend: “My grandmother is a huge b**** and hates everyone and everything. But she is the matriarch, so no one challenges her. I’m so sorry, but if she starts harassing you, no one will be able to stick up for you.”

I am young and very invested in the relationship, so I don’t hold that against him.

We drive up to the grandma’s house and go inside, and I’m quiet as a mouse looking around and trying to not be noticed. I see there are pretty prisms and crystals everywhere — cheap ones, similar to one I have with me on a necklace. I love how they make rainbows.

I know what to do now, and I go find the matriarch.

Grandma: “Oh. You must be the new girl. You won’t last.”

Me: “I will continue to exist regardless of who I date. I will last. I will endure.”

Grandma: “I don’t care about any of that…”

But she is looking at me and facing me!

Me: “That was a bit silly, wasn’t it? My name is [my name], and I’ve been looking forward to meeting you. I have something for you!”

Grandma: “I don’t want—”

I take off my necklace, and she stops talking to watch it. I reach forward and clasp it onto her.

Me: “Thank you for letting me give that to you. It means a lot to me.”

I pat her shoulder and step back. She touches my shoulder briefly and has the tiniest smile. Then, she silently walks away.

My boyfriend approaches me a few minutes later.

Boyfriend: “What did you do? She hasn’t yelled at anyone yet, and she told [Aunt] that she met you, using your name.”

The next few days are uneventful; we aren’t staying with grandma. Then, we return for dinner. She is wearing the necklace. She even says hi.

We are sitting at the table, and Grandma starts laying into some family members about something. I get tired of it.

Me: “Why are you doing this? You love these people; I can tell. But you are being so mean!”

Grandma: *Laughs* “Oh, this one has some moxie! I forgot people could stand up to me. I like you, [My Name].”

I broke up with the guy in the airport on the way home because he was cheating on me and his family was dysfunctional, but I enjoyed winning over that woman. I never told him how I did it, and he wasn’t observant enough to notice the necklace. I did find out that the woman died recently, which surprisingly made me very sad.

Be nice to your elders, and take no s***.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!