Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Ain’t Your Sweetheart, Honey

, , , , , , , , | Working | April 22, 2024

I’m an admin at a construction company. My supervisor — the site manager — and I share an office that is separate from the main area of the job trailer. My desk is visible from the door because it is my responsibility to handle the day-to-day tasks and people need to know where I am, but my supervisor’s desk is against the wall beside the door, not visible unless you walk in. We have four trailers onsite: ours, three subcontractors, and the customer, all with large signs on the front and side of each trailer marking which trailer is which.

A delivery driver comes into our trailer and calls out.

Driver: “Hey, I have a shipment here!”

I walk out of the office.

Me: “Coming! Who is it for?”

Driver: “[Subcontractor]. Sign here.”

Me: “Oh, sorry, that goes to the next trailer.”

I point in the direction of the subcontractor’s trailer about ten feet from ours.

Driver: “I just need a signature, ma’am.”

Me: “No problem. You just have to take it to the building beside this one. It has a [Subcontractor] sign on the door.”

Driver: *Irritated* “Okay, sweetheart. Just sign so I can get going.”

Me: *Firmly* “No. You need to deliver it to the proper location.” *Points to the shipping label* “It says right here that it goes to the [Subcontractor] trailer.”

Driver: “Look, honey, I don’t have time for this s***. If you’re rejecting the delivery, then—”

My supervisor comes out of the office.

Supervisor: “Listen, man! She’s not rejecting it; she’s telling you you’re in the wrong place. Get your f****** head out of your f****** a** and walk ten more feet to the next door.”

The driver stands in silent shock.

Supervisor: “Go!”

The driver pales and walks out without another word. [Supervisor] puts his hands on my shoulders and shakes me gently while he groans. 

Supervisor: *Laughing* “[My Name]! Why are people so stupid?”

Me: *Laughing* “I’m sorry! I was trying to tell him; he just wasn’t listening.”

Supervisor: “I know. It’s not your fault. I won’t allow the workers to talk to you like that; I sure won’t let some random person do it.”

Me: “Thank you.”

I do swear now and then but normally only when I do something tremendously stupid. I’m not bothered by other people swearing if that’s their thing, but I really appreciated [Supervisor] coming in and taking care of business.

We did report the driver to the company and were told it was taken care of internally. I haven’t seen him since, so I don’t know if he was reassigned or outright fired.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!