Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Father’s Day, Read All About It!

, , , , | Related | November 28, 2017

(It is the day before Father’s Day and I am taking my four-year-old daughter shopping.)

Me: “[Daughter], tomorrow is Father’s Day and we need to buy Daddy a present. What do you want to get for him?”

Daughter: “Um… A newspaper.”

Me: “You want to buy Daddy a newspaper for Father’s Day? Remember that we are getting him something to show that we love him.”

Daughter: “Yes, a newspaper that he loves.”

Me: *instantly a bit worried about her understanding of the word “newspaper,” as we never read them at home* “Do you know what a newspaper is?”

Daughter: “It’s… Um… It’s a book.”

Me: “Well, yes, it’s kind of like a book.”

(She is distracted by something else, and I decide to see where this is going. Thirty minutes later, we are in a kiosk, and she has been pointing to various gossip magazines trying to decide which one to buy. I try to gently guide her towards the actual newspapers to show her what they are, but suddenly she finds the perfect one.)

Daughter: *delighted gasp* “Mommy! Dinosaurs! It’s a dinosaur newspaper! We can buy this one. Can we buy this one?”

Me: “That is a very nice dinosaur magazine; do you want to buy it for Daddy?”

Daughter: “Yes, because he loves dinosaurs, and I do, too.”

Me: “Well, okay, then. Let’s buy it.”

Daughter: *giggles and bounces all the way to the cashier*

(And that’s how he got a kid’s magazine about dinosaurs as a Father’s Day gift this year. He was delighted, and spent time reading it to her the next day.)


This story is part of our Father’s Day roundup.

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go to the Father’s Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!