Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

, , , , , , , , | Learning | CREDIT: CLAGE929 | November 23, 2023

I studied history in Germany. While there, an African exchange student enrolled, as well. He had a very thick accent and had quite a lot of trouble putting his thoughts to paper. So, when an assignment was due, he asked the elderly professor if he could write the assignment in English, where he had way more ease expressing himself.

The elderly professor didn’t want to admit that his English was rather bad, so instead, he referenced the university guidelines that stipulated that (except for language studies) all assignments were to be written in either German or Latin.

Little did the professor know that the African exchange student had, in fact, been schooled in a Jesuit monastery, so he did turn in the assignment in perfect Latin. Since the professor had specialized in Modern History, he needed the help of a Latin professor to grade the assignment.

The university guidelines were amended a year later: assignments in Latin are now only acceptable for those studying Latin.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!