Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 11

, , , , , , | Right | April 28, 2024

At the check-in desk of our hotel:

Manager: “Sir, you said in your booking that you had a service animal.”

Guest: “Yes, he’s here in the bag.”

Manager: “Sir, that’s a chihuahua.”

Guest: “So?”

Manager: “Chihuahuas are not typical service animals. Can I see your ADA—”

Guest: “No! You’re not allowed to ask! That’s illegal! I have a hidden disability and—”

Manager: “Sir, I am not asking you about any of your disabilities. I do, however, need to follow ADA guidelines, and I am allowed to confirm if your service animal is registered—”

Guest: “No! Not allowed! Just check me in, and you’ll see! She won’t be an issue!”

We are a pet-friendly hotel, and we do have a long check-in line (there’s a big event in town), so my manager reminds the guest of the hotel rules for all pets and completes the check-in.

Later, the customer comes by the pool, and the dog starts barking and jumping up at other guests. The pool manager tells him off, and he leaves. He comes back sans dog. My manager is informed of this, and he approaches the guest:

Manager: “Sir. You claimed this was a service animal, and according to the ADA, service animals are to stay with their handlers at all times. You have now left your dog locked in your room, where it is currently barking and disturbing other guests.”

Guest: “You’re just discriminating because you don’t like my breed of dog!”

Manager: “Service animal or not, your dog is not meeting the standards for public access. Please return to your room and ensure that your dog is not being a disturbance.”

Guest: “I’m going to complain to your corporate office about how I’ve been treated!”

Manager: “I’ve already informed them of the situation, sir. Their recommendation was to add the $250 pet fee to your room.”

Guest: “You can’t do that! That’s so much money it’s immoral!”

Manager: “Almost as immoral as claiming a dog is a service animal when it is so clearly not, wouldn’t you say?”

The guest checked out early. The fees stuck.

Related:
Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 10
Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 9
Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 8
Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 7
Doing A Disservice To Service Animals, Part 6

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!