Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Does This Mean Skinny People Can Only Eat Kale?

, , , , , , | Right | December 11, 2022

Our store has two cafes: one on the ground floor and one on the second floor. Until recently, both cafes offered the exact same menu, but now they are targeting different groups of people and have differing menus. The Upper Cafe still does the full menu, focusing on sit-down meals, whereas the Lower Cafe now focuses more on “grab and go”-type items.

About three weeks after the change, it’s 5:20 pm and I am in the Lower Cafe, behind the counter. The Upper Cafe has been closed for nearly an hour and we are only ten minutes away from closing ourselves.

[Woman] walks in.

Woman: *Very abruptly* “I want a jacket potato.”

Me: “I’m sorry, madam, but we don’t do jacket potatoes in this cafe anymore. The cafe upstairs still does them, but they are now closed for the day.”

Woman: “I’ve bought one from here before!”

I begin to explain, but she interrupts me.

Woman: “So, what do you do now, then, huh?”

Due to it being nearly closing time, we don’t have that much left.

Me: “Well, we have a few toasties left, and we still can serve coffee or cake—”

Woman: *Interrupting* “Cakes are for fat people. You are only serving things for fat people.”

Me: “We do have our fruit juices in the fridge—”

Woman: “Toasties are for fat people.” *Angrier* “They. Are. For. Fat. People.”

She keeps repeating this, trying to get me to “admit” that she is right and that all of our food is only for “fat people”. When she realises this isn’t going to work and that I’m not falling for her games, she storms off.

Woman: “You’ve just lost yourself a customer.”

Me: “You’ll have to call corporate in that case.” *Dismissing* “Thank you.”

I tell my colleagues about her a couple of minutes later.

Colleague: “Does she not know how many calories are in our jacket potatoes, especially when you add butter or cheese? I guess they must be for ‘fat people’, too!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!