Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Crashing And Burning Without Ever Leaving The Ground

, , , , , , , | Working | October 15, 2023

About fifteen years ago, I was hired to work at a large department store. I went in on a Friday to complete some paperwork. Human Resources advised me that I would start that coming Monday, and I would be training with [Associate]. I was also advised to be at the store at around 9:45 for the morning meeting with the store manager, and I would get to meet my department manager and the associate training me. 

I showed up on time for the meeting eager to meet everyone. After the five-minute-or-so meeting, I introduced myself to the store manager, and he in turn introduced me to the department manager. 

The department manager looked shocked for a minute.

Department Manager: “I didn’t realize I had a new employee. I saw your name on the schedule and thought you were a floater.”

Me: “Oh, that’s okay. I was told I would be training with [Associate].”

Department Manager: “Well, since I thought you were a floater, I changed [Associate] to come in this afternoon at 2:00 instead of 9:45.”

Me: “Oh, okay. Who will be training me, then?”

Department Manager: “Well, I don’t have anyone who can train you this morning.”

Me: “Would you like for me to come in at 2:00?”

Department Manager: “Um, no. I may just have to train you. Go to the cash office, get the cash bag, and go down to the department, and I will be there before the store opens to help you.”

I did what he said and then waited for him. Then, the customers started coming in and approached my register with returns. I explained that it was my first day and I was waiting for my trainer. Most of the customers were really nice and went to seek help at another register. 

I waited for about ten more minutes and still no [Department Manager]. I started looking around the store for another employee and found no one. I couldn’t open the register, so I had no choice but to carry the cash bag with me. I didn’t know how to page anyone. 

So, I went back to the cash office and informed the lady working there what was going on. She paged [Department Manager]. 

Cash Office Lady: “I just spoke to [Department Manager]. He said he forgot about you. He’s on his way now to help you.”

I thanked her and rushed back downstairs stairs to wait for [Department Manager]. It was now 10:15.

I waited and waited. He never showed up. More customers approached me, and I felt bad that I had to turn them away. 

At 10:35, I started walking around the store again, the cash bag clenched tightly in my hand. I still couldn’t find another associate. “Where have they all gone?” I wondered. 

I went back to [Cash Office Lady], and she looked puzzled that I was back. 

Me: “[Department Manager] never showed up to help me.”

Cash Office Lady: “Are you serious? All the department managers just went into the Managers’ Monday 10:45 meeting. They may be in there for a while.”

Me: “Is there someone who can help me?”

Cash Office Lady: “I am not sure, but the Human Resources lady is off today. Let me call Betty; she may be able to help.”

I had no idea who Betty was, but I hoped she could help me. 

Cash Office Lady: *On the phone* “Hey, Betty, I have a new employee here, and it’s her first day. [Department Manager] was supposed to help train her today. I think he changed her original trainer’s schedule to later this afternoon. She hasn’t even been able to open her register. She doesn’t even have a login for the registers. Can someone please come help her?”

A couple of minutes pass, and then…

Cash Office Lady: “So, there’s no one who can come help this poor girl. This is crazy. What should I tell her?” *Pauses* “Well, thanks for your help.”

She hung up the phone and turned back to me.

Cash Office Lady: “I am so sorry, but there is no one who can help you. It seems we don’t have enough people here. [Department Manager] has your login for the register. I can’t disturb them in the meeting. I am so confused that [Department Manager] didn’t have you come in later when the other associate would be here to train you. “

Me: “I know. It doesn’t make sense to me, either.”

I was frustrated and annoyed by this whole situation. I decided that I was going to go ahead and quit right then. 

I handed the cash bag to [Cash Office Lady], and I profusely thanked her for helping me. 

Cash Office Lady: “I am sorry to see you go. I don’t blame you, though. [Department Manager] could’ve handled this better. We have a high turnover here anyway. I don’t understand why they don’t teach classes anymore for the new hires so at least they will know something going out onto the floor. It could avoid these kinds of situations. Really, he should have had you come in this afternoon; that would have made the most sense. But what do I know?” *Sighs*

I smiled at her and walked away. 

I thought about calling HR, but it seemed that they hadn’t told the department manager that I was a new hire. I didn’t really want to waste any more of my time with this company; it was too disorganized. 

I was really looking forward to working there until this mess happened.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!