Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Your Job Blows, Sure; His Job Blows UP

, , , , , , | Working | November 13, 2023

This happened to my dad in the early 1980s. He worked at an unemployment agency, placed in a neighbourhood where bomb threats (and bombs) were regular occurrences. His job (and his colleagues’ job, of course) was to invite people to bring their files up to date, to offer job possibilities, and to inquire about irregularities (some funny stories there, as well). If the unemployed person was invited, to qualify for his unemployment money that month, a special stamp by my dad and colleagues was needed.

One day, a bomb exploded, and the rather derelict building only survived thanks to a bank — or rather its vault — being between the bomb and them. Of course, an evacuation was ordered by the police. The big boss, however, countered that order and told all employees to remain and keep working. They were stamping cards left and right. Some of those receiving a stamp protested.

Dad: “You’re lucky; you are allowed to leave. Just get out. You’re good until next week. Come back before then.”

Then, the fire marshall entered, wanting to know why the h*** they weren’t getting out. He was referred to the fourth floor, to [Big Boss]. [Big Boss] was very defiant and refused to let his people go. The fire marshall made short work of it, telling him he had two options: order the evacuation or be arrested for endangering lives and refusing to follow orders from rescuers. Funny, suddenly, they were all allowed to leave…

The offices moved a few years later, and the building was demolished — the classic way.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!