Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Don’t Just Get To Charge Whatever You Want

, , , , , , | Working | August 19, 2022

I work at a family-owned business. It’s based heavily on new construction for the supplies we sell. I’m covering the showroom one day as [Coworker] who normally does is out on vacation.

The day progresses normally; it’s a busy morning with lots of people buying supplies. The day usually slows down to a crawl until lunch hour when people are coming through on their lunch breaks to buy things, and then it slows down again after that until we close at 4:00 pm.

It’s late in the afternoon and in walks a customer. I’ve seen him a few times before, but I haven’t helped him until today.

Customer: “Hey… umm… Where’s [Coworker] that works the counter?”

Me: “He’s on vacation.”

Customer: “Oh. Okay.”

Me: “What can I help you with today?”

The customer gives me a few items he needs. I ring him up and give him his cost, which is clearly not what he was expecting based on the face he makes.

Customer: “[Coworker] gives me the last price break on items. You’re charging me too much.”

Me: “I’m sorry, do you have a charge account with us?”

Some customers have charge accounts, and based on how much business they do with us, they can get price breaks on items they buy.

Customer: “No, but [Coworker] always gives me the last price break.”

Me: “I’m not [Coworker], and [Coworker] shouldn’t be giving you price breaks. If he continues to do that, he’ll be fired. So, do you still want these items or not?”

Looking defeated, the customer agrees to the slightly higher price than what he normally gets.

Customer: “That’s fine.”

The customer paid and left.

I went to my supervisor.

Me: “[Coworker] is back to giving out price breaks to customers who aren’t entitled to them again. You’d better have a talk with him before the owners find out and fire him.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!