Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When They Reap What You Sew

, , , , | Right | February 5, 2024

I’m the same author who submitted this story. As stated in the first story, I don’t sell my sewn or knitted items in person very often, but I do rent a booth at a local flea market if I have a lot of items left over from my online store. Here’s another story from the flea market.

I’m set up and having a relatively successful day, selling most of my inventory reasonably quickly. An older woman wanders up to my booth and puts on a big show of studying my items, with little tuts and other gestures that generally signal that she disapproves of everything. Finally, she turns to me.

Customer: “You know, I used to knit when I was younger. The items I made were much higher quality than these.”

Me: “Well, I’ve done okay selling everything so far, so… okay?”

Customer: “I can’t believe you’re trying to sell stuff for these prices. So high for such low quality.”

Me: “Then don’t buy anything. It’s fine. I’m sure I’ll be okay without your business.”

Customer: “I might be persuaded to pay [far lower price] for some of these things, but they’re certainly not worth more than that.”

Me: “The price you see is the price you pay. I don’t haggle.”

Customer: “Hmm… Well, then, I suppose I’ll look somewhere else.”

Note that the flea market has no other sewn/knitted goods this weekend; I usually have one or two competitors, but they don’t seem to be here this time.

Me: “Feel free to do so, ma’am. Have a nice day!”

She wanders off, only to return to my booth about an hour later, clearly hoping that I won’t recognize her. Unfortunately for her…

Me: “Hello again, ma’am!”

Customer: *Immediately turning back into her grumbling self* “You’re in luck. Nobody else is selling this kind of stuff today, so I guess I’m stuck with you. I’ll give you [lower price] for [item]; we both know it’s not worth what you’re trying to charge.”

Me: “Nope, full price or leave.”

After more grumbling, she eventually paid the full price.

To all my fellow crafters out there, I know this doesn’t need to be said, but stick to your guns on pricing. We all know people are going to complain about prices, but you know what your stuff is worth. Don’t let anyone talk you down!

Related:
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Testicles

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!