Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When Parking In An Emergency Area Meets “Oh, No, The Consequences Of My Actions”

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: YARNfics | June 9, 2023

So basically, it’s common sense to most — not including the fact we tell people not to park there — that emergency parking is for emergency vehicles. Generally, people understand that if there is an emergency, first responders may need the best access and don’t need to try to maneuver around your car or vehicle while working.

Now since it is right in front of our lobby, we give some leeway to let people to get their stuff out and check-in before they need to move their car, we don’t mind if you take fifteen minutes to take care of things regarding getting situated or the like. If you leave it there, we usually call the room and as I said, most people understand and move the car.

No fuss no muss. Simple concept.

I walk into my shift seeing a white car parked in the emergency area. Nothing too out of the ordinary, and I walk to the front desk and as I take my place, the supervisor — who works the previous shift — informs me that the guest has parked his car there, checked-in, and hasn’t moved it in three hours.

We have already told him twice to move the car and he has brushed off the requests, after that we will tell him one last time and give him thirty minutes before we call the city’s towing service to come and pick up a car.

I sigh and call the room.

Me: “Sir, we need to see you at the front desk.”

Silence… then a low mumble of him agreeing. I wait for fifteen minutes handling a check-in or two before he shows up.

Me: “Hello, sir, are you from [room]?”

Guest: *Already irritated.* “Yeah, what’s this about?”

Me: “Well, sir, I am sure you’ve already been informed that your car is in our emergency parking area and need to be moved.”

Guest: “Why do I need to move my car?!”

Me: “Um… it’s our emergency parking area, sir. Only emergency vehicles are allowed to park there.”

Guest: “It’s not like there is an emergency going out right now!”

Me: “That doesn’t really matter whether or not there is an emergency or not at the moment. It isn’t a parking space that is predicated on time or whether or not there is an emergency. That area needs to stay clear in case an emergency happens.”

He sneers and crosses his arms.

Guest: “So what are you going to do about it if I don’t move my car? Huh?”

I frown but he should know the consequences.

Me: “I’ll call The City to tow your car.”

Guest: “You’re not gonna tow my car!”

He laughs, already walking away. I level a flat look at him walking away. I do wait the customary thirty minutes that I told him I would wait to see if he would heed my advice and he doesn’t come back. 

A small call and interaction with the tow truck driver later and our emergency parking area is clear once again.

When he returns — three hours later — he looks around in the lot in confusion before realization dawns on his face and he storms back in, scowling and ready to deck me.

Guest: “What did you do?!”

I look him straight in the eye.

Me: “I had your car towed.”

Guest: “Why?!”

Me: “Because you were parkedintheemergency area!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!