Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Whatever You Assume, You’re Wrong

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: mattycity1991 | November 30, 2021

It was a busy day at the supermarket where I work. I was already exhausted doing my manager’s work that they didn’t want to do themselves. I had to deliver safety supplies for the health crisis to a church as a donation from our store, and it took two trips to deliver everything.

As soon as I got back, I hopped on a register. I only had about fifteen minutes left in my shift. I just wanted to clear out the lines since it was busy for the Memorial Day weekend. As soon as I was ready to close off my register after a couple of customers, I told the last customer in my line:

Me: “I’ll be closing after you; you’ll be the last one in my line.”

Exhausted, I made the stupid mistake of asking the lady in my line to help close my line off.

Me: “Could you please pull the cord across the lane to show that it’s closed off? You can also move that mini display cart across so no one can enter.”

The cart had wheels on it and wasn’t that heavy. As soon as she started to move the display cart, she stopped.

Customer: “I’m not doing that; I am seventy years old, and I have shoulder problems. You shouldn’t be asking me to do that.”

Me: “I apologize, ma’am. I’m sorry.”

I began ringing her up.

Customer: “I’m extremely insulted. I need to speak to a manager immediately! You should never ask a customer, let alone an elderly seventy-year-old with shoulder and knee problems, to do anything of that nature.”

Me: “Again, I’m sorry, ma’am. I was unaware of your problems, and I didn’t want to assume that you were incapable. I am exhausted, and I didn’t pay attention to your attributes or your age.’

Customer: “I demand to speak to your manager! I want to tell them that you should be retrained. You should put up a sign that says that you’re closed instead of asking anyone to move things to block off the lane.”

I realize I was in the wrong about asking someone to move something to block me off. But I got so used to having a lot of different customers do it. I chose the wrong person to help me out with that.

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am.”

Customer: “That doesn’t mean anything! I need to talk to a manager.”

In my head, I wished her good luck with that because the store was busy and the manager on duty was doing other things, so she could honestly just wait there until someone shows up.

I was so upset because this lady made me feel like s*** and degraded for not assuming that she wasn’t capable of moving a small display cart on wheels. I honestly meant no harm. She didn’t even take my apology.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!