Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Manager’s Ignorance Is Deafening

, , , , , | Working | November 30, 2023

I am not deaf, but I do speak American Sign Language, which means I automatically get to wait on tables when we realize one of the diners is deaf.

We also have a new manager who, while very hard-working and friendly, isn’t the sharpest tool in the box.

I am talking with said manager, when our front of house approaches me.

Front Of House: “Hey, so table four are all deaf as far as I can tell. They’re speaking to each other in sign language, and they all seem to be wearing hearing aids.”

I’m about to speak up, when I realize that our new manager thinks that the front of the house is talking to her, not me. Our manager doesn’t know that I can speak American Sign Language. 

Manager: *Without skipping a beat.* “On it!”

And with that, the manager rushes off to table four.

Front Of House: *To me.* “Does [Manager] speak sign language?”

Me: “I don’t know… maybe?”

Our manager comes back surprisingly quickly, looking pleased with themself.

Manager: “Sorted it out. I’m sure they appreciate the accommodations we make for all our diners!”

Curious, I go check on table four, so see three very confused-looking deaf people… holding Braille menus.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!