Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Only Discrepancy Here Is Not Yours

, , , , | Working | January 2, 2020

(One of the managers at my store has had it in for me ever since I started. I used to work in the back office handling till floats; however, after a change to how we handle the registers, the number of people needed to fulfil that requirement reduced, and I took on a head cashier role instead of being made redundant. Because of this, I know a considerable amount when it comes to the registers and handling discrepancies. I have been called into the office before I start my shift.)

Manager: “We’ve found a discrepancy on the till you were working on yesterday.”

(We go through the standard questions.)

Manager: “As this is your third discrepancy, we have to put you through additional training.”

Me: “My third overall, you mean, not my third in six months.”

Manager: “Yes, now—”

Me: “I’m only required to undergo additional training if it is my third within six months. I haven’t used the registers for transactions in over two years, so it’s impossible for me to have had three.”

Manager: “Yes, well, failure to do undergo training will mean a disciplinary hearing and being placed on unpaid leave. The chances of you staying on are slim. It’s better if you just do the training.”

Me: “Again, this is if it’s my third discrepancy in six months.”

Manager: “Just sign it, [My Name].”

Me: “No, I will not.”

Manager: “Then I will discuss this with [Store Manager] once he gets in. I am generous enough to allow you to be paid up to your last whole hour for today. Get your things and go home.”

Me: *noticing something on the form* “[Manager], you’ve forgotten something on the form: the discrepancy amount?”

Manager: “Oh, yes.” *quickly tries to write it on and grabs it, trying to not let me see*

Me: “60p? Seriously? Discrepancies over £5 must be investigated. Anything under £1 is ignored and balanced using the kitty.”

Manager: “That’s enough. Go home!”

(I left, but also left a note for the store manager about what had happened. I got a call from him the next day saying that the discrepancy form had disappeared and I was put down as leaving work without permission. He received confirmation that I was sent home, but the manager said it was because we had overscheduled that day, and that the leaving without permission was probably noted by one of the cashiers — unlikely. We never found the form and all record of any discrepancy disappeared. While there is no evidence, the store manager is on my side after receiving similar stories from other workers, and has started a log of all the occurrences relating to [Manager]. Fingers crossed something happens about it!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!