Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Kind Of Thing That Makes A Person Feel Really Valued

, , , , , | Right | September 20, 2023

I worked with a company for five years, doing nearly all their marketing design over that time. Last year, they decided they could save money by hiring someone with no experience. They weren’t the easiest to work with, so I cut my losses and wished them luck.

Six months later, I get an email.

Client: “It’s our busiest time of the year, and our designer is going on vacation for several weeks. We have a lot of work to get done and need someone who can step in and get it done quickly. Are you available?”

Me: “I have a little availability right now and would be glad to help. As you know, I prefer to work on a project fee basis. Please let me know what you need help with and I’ll send you a quote.”

Client: “Great! We really appreciate you doing this favor for us. We have a few different projects, but we think it would be easier if we could just give them to you as we need them, so you’ll need to bill us hourly.”

At this point, he quotes a number that is less than a quarter of the hourly rate I use to calculate project fees and tells me that they’re “excited to work with me again.”

Normally, I would walk away, but I do have an opening in the next few weeks, so I agree to work for an hourly rate, for a figure lower than my usual fees but higher than what they offered.

Me: “I’m sorry, if you prefer to use an hourly rate, I can offer you a rate of [number lower than usual but much higher than theirs]. Please keep in mind that I’m familiar with your design and can get these projects done much more quickly than someone unfamiliar with your brand.”

Client: “Yes, we love the work you’ve done in the past, but we pay [restates low rate].

When I read that, I am ready to say no. Then, I get this gem.

Client: “Also, we really need to see your work before we can hire you. Do you have a portfolio?”

I instructed them to look in their archives and call me when they could afford me.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!