Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Drama Started Before The Show

, , , , , | Right | September 25, 2023

I am checking tickets at a theatre that’s showing a big musical production. A woman comes in with her three young children and hands me a ticket.

Me: “Thank you, madam, but please note that the performance is for fourteen and up.”

Customer: “Oh, I know! Where can I leave the kids?”

Me: “Pardon me?”

Customer: “The creche! Where’s your creche?”

Me: “You mean, like a daycare?”

Customer: “Obviously!”

Me: “We… we don’t have one, madam.”

Customer: “Are you serious?”

Me: “Uh… yes, madam. [Theatre] doesn’t provide child daycare facilities.”

Customer: “That can’t be right! How do you expect parents to be able to come and see your shows?”

Me: “We expect parents to organise childcare, madam.”

Customer: “Do you have some kind of supervisor I can speak to? I refuse to believe that you don’t have some kind of childcare facilities!”

I call the manager over and relay the information.

Manager: “My associate here is correct, madam. We don’t have any kind of child-minding facilities and never have. Can I ask where you saw that we did?”

Customer: “Well, I didn’t technically, but it’s discrimination against parents that you wouldn’t!”

Manager: “Madam, I’m sorry, but it’s not our job to sort out your childcare, and nowhere is it stated on our published materials that it is.”

Customer: “Well, can my kids just come in and sit on the side or something?”

Manager: “Absolutely not. The show is rated fourteen and up for adult themes — not to mention that it’s also a sold-out showing.”

Customer: “This is discriminatory! I’m going to go online and tell everyone that [Theatre] discriminates against parents!”

Manager: “You are free to do so, madam, but that doesn’t change anything. [Theatre] never has and currently does not have childcare facilities, and honestly, I am surprised you would just assume we did without checking. I would imagine no major theatre in London provides such facilities.”

Customer: *Shrieks but thankfully leaves* 

I get that it’s hard being a parent, but the entitlement shocked me!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!