Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Spend The Extra Bawk And The Chickens Will Thank You

, , , , | Related | January 31, 2021

We try to eat consciously in my house. We still eat meat and fish but opt for brands that give the animals a half-decent life before getting culled. For example, in the UK, free-range eggs mean legal requirements for a minimum amount of space and litter for the hens: no more than nine hens a square metre, ten centimetres of feeder a bird, and one drinker for ten birds, by law.

It’s not for everyone, but not having animals needlessly suffer over a few pence just makes sense to us.

I am shopping in the supermarket with my daughter and we reach the eggs.

Me: “Grab a dozen for me, please.”

Daughter: “That’s twelve?”

Me: “Yeah, the big box.”

She grabs the caged eggs as they’re nearest.

Me: “No, not those, the free-range ones.”

Daughter: “What does free-range mean?”

Me: “Just that the chicken has a better life, and we get better eggs. It costs a little more, but I think it’s the right thing to do.”

Daughter: “Oh, cool.”

I looked up and noticed a woman standing near me for the first time. She locked eyes with me before silently putting her eggs back and picking up the free-range ones. I didn’t mean to lecture anyone, but it’s nice that at least one person made a decision to support a good cause.


This story is part of our Feel Good roundup for January 2021!

Read the next Feel Good roundup for January 2021 story!

Read the Feel Good roundup for January 2021!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!